Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick v. spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Sep 4, 2000.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    ok, i have a spector ns2000 and was wondering what you all think. What do you like more Warwick Streamer Stage (1/2) or any warwick in that price range or the American Spectors?? THey Are both about 4000 and i just wanted to know how the talkbassers feel

2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  4. jfsjbb

jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    I never had my hands on a spector, but I played some warwicks. There is absolutely nothing I can say against any warwick bass.

Excellent straightforward craftswork, versatile sound.

Am I right that the american spector and the warwick streamer are very similar?

jfsjbb

5. If I had to choose b'tween a USA series Spector and a Warwick Streamer Stage I or II ?

No Contest. Choose the Original.

Spector

6. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I've read a bunch of posts here regarding the Warwick basses. A lot of people say that Warwicks have a bad reputation but I haven't seen why. I'm thinking of possibly getting a fretless Corvette and want to know what Warwick has done in the past to get a bad rap.

Also, does Spector make a fretless bass?

thanx

7. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    Well when you become as popular as Warwick has in recent times your gonna take knocks because there are a whole lot more people who play them with different opinions on what basses should sound like. The necks are a lot of time the isssue but they are actually quite nice to me and warwicks offer more adjustability than most basses. As for spectors, they are great sounding but I really don't think they are being ripped off by Warwick. Spectors have that deep warm growl to them, Warwicks to me have a little more punch than warmness than the Spectors.......

8. Warwicks are, for each models respective price range, great basses. Heck, I almost bought one. Spectors are no different. But just like always, it's what sounds and feels best for you.

I believe Stuart Spector would be very happy to build a fretless for you. He can do ANYTHING!

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You know, those Streamer Stage I and IIs are awesome, but for that kind of money, I have to agree with RIZ.

Buy the original, not the copy. Buy a Spector.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, I've played some Spectors that were fretless. It's an option available on any of his basses.

I own the American Spector (NS-4) and LOVE it!!! Hands down, the best bass I've ever played (in my opinion, of course)!!! When I bought it, I'd barely heard of Spector and was actually looking for a Warwick. The store I went into no longer carried Warwick and had just picked up the Spector line. I played it and knew that I had found my dream bass in only a few minutes of playing it.

Since buying it, I've learned a lot...how to get many different tones out of it that I didn't know could come from my hands, the fantastic reputation of Spectors and wonderful reviews of the American line, and so forth. But, one thing really sticks out even more...I've played probably 30 or 40 Warwicks since I've bought my Spector. While I'd be the first person to tell you Warwicks are great basses, I'd also be the first person to tell you that, in my opinion, Warwicks of any line simply do not measure up to Spector! None of the Warwicks had the growl or punchiness that my Spector had. None of the Warwicks were as comfortable as my Spector. None of the Warwicks sang as beautifully. And, some of the Warwicks sounded dead. Just plain dead. It was really weird. For example, in one store, I played three different 4 string neck through Thumb Basses, and one had no tone! I made the store change batteries and strings, but the bass just sounded dead to me. No life! That has happened with a few other Warwicks, too! I think another was either a Streamer or Fortress...can't remember. But, I do call into question the consistency of Warwicks after those experiences...

There are a number of threads that went around within the last 2-3 months that discuss Spectors and compare Spectors with Warwicks. I'd recommend reading them.

But, most importantly, if you are trying to compare them, make sure you do a side by side comparison, using the same room, the same amp, and equal time on each bass. Then, you'll have to judge for yourself.

11. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    Id like to throw my 2 cents in here to. ive been looking to buy a new bass for the last couple months and warwick and spector are two of the basses i had in mind. i played the warwick corvette std at gc one day and loved it. last week i had a chance to play a spector ns2000( i think).both of these basses are similar in price and even though the spector was not there best line, i liked the warwick much better. but once again, it only matters what you think. i like the way the warwick neck is, which seems to be on of there biggest complaints.so im going with warwick.

12. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I was window shopping at Bass NW and I came across the USA spectors... They were going RETAIL (not list) for $1000/string! The Warwicks, a presumed copy go LIST for $4100 for the most expensive bass guitar (minus custom options) and that was the Streamer I 6 string. Though styled similar, I like the Warwicks way better. Spectors are nice, but just not quite as cool (in my book) as warwick.

13. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I gotta go with warwick.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    [/B][/QUOTE]
    I was window shopping at Bass NW and I came across the USA spectors... They were going RETAIL (not list) for $1000/string! The Warwicks, a presumed copy go LIST for $4100 for the most expensive bass guitar (minus custom options) and that was the Streamer I 6 string. Though styled similar, I like the Warwicks way better. Spectors are nice, but just not quite as cool (in my book) as warwick. [/B][/QUOTE]

Window Shopping? Hmmm...Have you ever walked into a store, told the guy what you'd pay and he'd sell it to you for that price, then say "thankyou" and walk out with your cash still in your pocket? :rolleyes:

The Spector NS-4 lists for $3,900 plus $500 for glossy finish (assuming you get one that's painted and prefer the glossy option.) Add $100 more for 5-string and an additional $200 over that for a 6-string. Check the Spector website. That's the LIST. How much do you usually get discounts for in stores? Perhaps 25%? :cool:

So, that means that if you bought a 6 string for $4,200 plus the $500 glossy finish option, that figures to be $4,700, or about $783.34 per string. That's list! If you got a 25% discount, you'd pay about $3,525, or $587.50 per string. Nice math! And, if you're saying the Streamer is $4,100 discounted (that's not called retail, my friend), then the Warwick is $575.00 more expensive! ;)

So, if you like the Warwick better, get it. I like my Spector better. That's why I have one. But, if you're going to try to sway someone based on facts such as price, make sure your facts are correct! :eek:

15. biscuit

biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    My vote is for Warwick. As far as fretless basses go, the best bass I ever played was a Corvette 4-string.

16. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, actually I was looking at the windows Bass NW has on it's building. They are Pella and I really want some like it. I just happened to see the price as I was checking out the seam between the double panes.

17. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I owned two warwicks in my life:a 1991 Thumb5,with MEC pick ups;and a 1989 Streamer stage1 with EMG(the real Steamer,no comparisons with the newer ones,believe me!)
    I think that Warwick basses are a totally different world from the other basses:their sound is very distinctive,modern,very "woody"(expecially the Thumb;while with a Streamer you can get more usual and Fender like tones);their necks have a real particular feeling;the electronic can give very aggresive and strong equalizations:for all these reasons I have found that usually or They love them,or they hate them.
    Anyhow a 2 things are undisputable:They are very very punchy(and this is why I consider them great slap-axes);you can get any sort of set up from them.
    I initially was one of those who hate them;then I loved them(and bought 2!);and then I needed money to buy my Sadowsky,so I sold them(I sometimes regret for the Streamer!).
    I have tried only 1 Spector made in the USA:a NS2 fretless:it was simply amazing!!!!!!(the only defect,was the difficoult accesibility to the last frets).
    For my taste,if I had the money(in Italy Spector are very more expensive than Warwicks),I would have no doubt:Spector(USA,of course!)

18. Dude, don't buy Pella!! Weathershield is much better. ;)

19. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Thanks Bassin', I'll look into those.

I still vote Warwick.