Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Vampyre?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frostytoaster2, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Frostytoaster2

Frostytoaster2 Guest

May 24, 2005
    i have been saving for a new bass for a while now, as my old 1 is only worth £100 new.

anyway i really like the vampyre, but does any1 know of any bad things about it, or really good things?

and also i have come across 2 types of it on the net, 1 is around £400 4 string and £500 5 string, the other is £1000 4 string and £1200 5 string

the cheaper one is called a rockbass vampyre and the more expensive 1 is a vampyre SN

does any1 know what the differnece is?

2. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    The cheaper ones are Warwick rockbasses. They are made in china whereas the dearer vamps are real warwicks which are made in germany.

The differences are woods, the rockbasses use pretty much standard woods (doesn't make them bad) and the germany version uses more exotic woods. Quality is probably the biggest difference. I believe the pickups are the same, not sure about the pre amp.

In my opinion the dearer german warwick kills the rockbass, but the rockbasses are pretty solid for the money.

3. Frostytoaster2

Frostytoaster2 Guest

May 24, 2005
    well i cant really afford a real vamp so i have to go for the rockbass but do u think i will be able to notice a difference between my basses, considering mine is like bottom of the range as i got it in a beginers pack.
    bassicly is it worth me upgrading to a rockbass then a vampyre?

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    NO!, keep saving money untill you can aford a real warwick, is not that rockbass line is bad but youll soon want a better bass, you can save until you can afford a corvette standard wich is german warwick and for many bassist is one hell of a solid axe and the price value is realy good.

5. +1

Save up. I am, and I know it'll be worth it! Look for a used one, and if you canfind one, nab that sucker up!

~Ryan

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I doubt you would see much improvement from whatever you have now to a rockbass. Its not that they are bad, they just aren't good. A real warwick is an entirely different beast, and well worth waiting for.

7. sorry but i cant agree with that. although i havent played all the warwick rockbasses i have played a few and was quite impressed with them. especially the rockbass corvette SE. when buying a new 5 banger it came down to a choice between a spector legend 5 and the warwick rockbass corvette SE. the legend won but only just.
    if you can only afford a rockbass try all of them especially the new ones with the german preamps.

trying to find a used german warwick though should be considered though. you should be able to pick up a corvette standard for well under 500 quid.

8. *bump*
    Since there is no warwick vampyre in my country to try, can anyone compare it with a corvette standard (since I've tried one)?
    Advantages, disadvantages, difference of their tone, more or less anything that you know about it :smug:
    Any cabs and heads that would match its tone??

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think you should take your money and go to a guitar store to see if they have any basses that you would like. I know the Vampyres look cool, but there's so many basses to fall in love with out there..

10. You are right and that's what I'd do if there was a decent guitar store in my city... I guess I have to go to the capital to find some decent equipment but still there isn't enough there either :rolleyes:

11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    +1 on saving. I don't wanna promote Warwick here, cause I really dislike them, but if the vampyre is the one you really want, wait until you can get the real deal.

12. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    1. New gear inspires.
    2. Practice will be more fun.
    3. Something to show off to peers. They likely won't know the diff between german vs china models.
    4. It's still gotta be loads better than a starter pack bass.

13. Well I actually now have the money I need for a German-made Vampyre but the problem is that I haven't heard it and I'll probably never will since there is none around to try, so the real question is: Should I risk buying it in an on-line shop without having tried it or should I compromise with another warwick (it's going to be a war' cause I love the sound of some I've played)?? Btw I play metal, rock and jazz and I have been dreaming of this bass for one year now...

Thanks for the replies everyone :smug:

14. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I know of a guy that owns a lefty 5-string Vamp in gloss black. I think he's on this forum, but I'm not sure. He had sound clips and everything, so hopefully he'll see this thread. I'm not sure, but I think he's from Norway?

15. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I almost forgot, "Bobzilla" from Damage Plan used a 4-string Vamp LTD also, and Warwick heads/cabs......

16. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah there are three different versions of this bass. I have only seen 2 mentioned though:

1.) The rockbass Vampyre about $400 US link
    2.) the set neck Vampyre about $1500 US link
    3.) the "real" Vampyre LTD about $4500 US link

The last poster did mention the LTD by the way.

I think ESP makes basses with that similar look that you may want to get and you could save up less than the Set Neck vampyre and get something of pretty sweet quality and good drool factor:
    ESP F-Series Basses
    THe most expensive one is under $1000 US

17. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    He's been looking at the SN, I have an Infinity SN 5, same pup configuration as this one, It will sound fuller than the corvette standard, but I can't tell what kind of wood the body is made of. I also have a katana BO 4 and could not find one to play, so I lived danerously and ordered one, I lucked out I love it and everyone who's played it likes it. Some love it.
    I've bought one on spec and it worked out,but it's an expensive gamble. If you have been wanting one for so long, you may be biased and like it no matter what. You're call.

18. Thanks for the input everyone!
    I searched the net for bobzilla but couldn't find much, only a small biograph, every "damage plan" site concentrates on Dimbag's death.
    Well, after everything I've read I'm almost certain that this bass is the one so I hope I'll like it when I get it... The only question remaining is which amp is made for it but that's a whole different story :D
    Thanks again guys, take care

19. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Hope it works out for you, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Good Luck!!!

20. FlamedMaple

FlamedMaple

Jan 30, 2005

Hellow people, I was just reading this thread and remembered I had this link on my computer. I have spent quite some time to find any pics of damageplan at all :)
    I hope you enjoy them.

http://www.returntothepit.com/band.php?band=damage_plan&selectedTab=pics&date=2004-11-24

p.s: Ryan Martinie sometimes plays Vampyre basses too. And the bassist from Lamb of God got a LTD/custom too.