Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick .. versus .. Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johans, Jan 27, 2005.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    ok ..

i've got two great deals on the following bass .. any previous or current owner to give me some insights and opinions?

both are used / excellent second hand bass:

1. Warwick Thumb Bolt-On 5
    2. Warwick FNA Jazzman 5

shoots out your opinions :)

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I've heard the jazzman's a little l33ter.

3. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    The Jazzman will be hands down a more well-rounded bass in terms of tonal versatility. It will also be better balanced and more comfortable to play.

However, there is no substitute on the planet for the tone of a Warwick Thumb, if that's what you're looking for.

The 2 are almost entirely different animals. How old are they? Do they have wenge necks or ovankol? Brass nut or composite nut? Do they have stock pickups/electronics or upgrades? These are all questions which might sway me one way or another.

For instance, IMO, MEC pickups are alright, but their electronics HOG batteries. With frequent playing, I used to change the battery in my Thumb 5 Bolt-On about once every week or 2. I played my Corvette Standard with EMGs day and night for about 6 months on the same battery.

My Thumb 6 Bolt-On has Seymour Duncan Basslines in it and they are much more versatile than the MECs I had in my Thumb 5 Bolt-On.

4. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA

all are still original ... both ovangkol neck, wenge board, original nut ..

how old .. i would say both is about 2000 bass? yeah, all still MEC ...

5. Thumb, the FNA I played was bloody awful.

6. I'll say thumb, just because you already have a Stingray 5, so your MM needs are kinda covered.

7. I have one of each of those and, while I love them both to death, the Jazzman is my favorite bass of all time. I put an Aguilar OBP-3 in the thumb, which I highly recommend, and I'm still kicking around the idea of replacing the pickups. I've never felt the need to do anything with the electronics in my Jazzman. Pretty much any sound I want is already in there.

8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Jazzman all the way dude!

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id go with the thumb. Sounds great.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Jazzman. Much more versatile, better weight and balance.
    OR get both and sell your 'Ray ;)

11. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Kinda like making the choice between a P and J....one is more versatile, while the other is more of a one trick pony, but does that particular trick like nothing else.......

12. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    guys ...

i think i'll be getting the thumb ..

i like fna shape etc ... but i will be getting them new instead of used to only the thumb bolt on will fit my budget :)

unless any of you here knows any shops that sells warwicks for real great prices ... let me know :)

take care

13. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    plus ... yeah

i'll be selling my ray to finance that :)

also ...
    i've a couple people here and also on craigslist that offers to trade my ray with their peavey cirrus 5 ... im not sure with the deal yet ..

as of now .. what i plan to do is .. sells off my ray to one of local here ... and use the money either ...

to purchase a new Cirrus 5 .. or a Thumb BO 5 ... any comments with this 2 basses? i've played thumb bo 5 earlier today, but never see or play on a cirrus .. any comments?

14. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    amp-wise ...

i've tried the thumb bolt-on 5 through several setups ..

- aguilar 2x12 combo
    - swr 350x through swr 210
    - swr 350x through swr 410
    - swr workingman 15
    - ampeg 350h through ampeg 610,410hlf,810

i really like the thumb on aguilar and ampeg ...
    but it really sounds kinda sucks on SWR... it feels like its loosing the bottom growl and becoming much mids on SWR .. is that true?

15. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I've noticed that too. I love the way Warwicks sound through any Ampeg-style of amps, namely Aguilar, Ashdown, Ampeg (duh) and Warwick amps.

I've tried several Warwicks through an SWR 750x and a 350x. I didn't really like what I heard. The same basses plugged into an Aguilar DB359, Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II and a made in UK Electric-Blue 150 sounded absolutely awesome.

16. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I wasn't asking to find out if anything had been modded. I was asking because Warwick's basses from around 98 and before are significantly different from the ones made after that. The older ones had wenge necks, which IMO is much better than the ovankol they use on the newer ones. In addition, the newer ones have a composite nut and the old ones have an adjustable brass nut. Those made between about 93 and 98 also have recessed straplocks, which I much prefer. Sometime in late 95/early 96 they switched their trussrod system, and by comparing the 94 and 95 Warwicks I had to the 96+ Warwicks, it also seems that they were almost completely handmade prior to 96.

So by asking about the materials and such, I was trying to find out if one was maybe a good deal older than the other, and hence (IMO) better. Although I'm not sure if they made the Jazzman basses before all the changes, I know the Thumb was around for a long time. I had a 94 Thumb BO and it was an amazing bass.

But none of this matters, as you mentioned they both have ovankol necks and such, so they're apparently 99 or newer. I would've gone with the Jazzman most likely, though depending on the prices you were seeing, the Thumb may have been the better option. Since the Thumb is arguably Warwick's most famous body style, they tend to hold their used value pretty well. I've not kept up on FNA Jazzmans enough to know how well they sell used.

Would you mind telling us how much they were offered to you for?

Not to rant, but maybe try one through a real SWR? The x series amps aren't half the amps the Bass 350 and 750 were (Thanks, Fender! :mad: ). I played Warwicks through an SWR Bass 350 for well over a year and was very pleased with the sound. I only got rid of that amp because it was underpowered. I use a Genz Benz GBE600 now and it's the best amp I've ever used hands down. The SWR 350x I took on trial to a gig wasn't as deep, rich, or full sounding as the 350 I had. Also, pick up a 350 and then pick up a 350x. The 350x feels like a toy compared to the rugged construction of the 350.