Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick vs Ashdown vs Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by x4x, May 11, 2004.

1. x4x

x4x

May 10, 2003
    Erps-Kwerps
    I have a few choices when it comes to selecting my new rig

I can either go for:

- The Ashdown MAG 300H with a 2 x 10" + 15": more cab power
    - The Warwick Mosfet IV with a W410Pro Cab: more head power
    - The Hartke HA350 with a Transporter 410TP cab: tube preamp

what would be the wisest choice keeping quality, amount of sound and expandability in mind?

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    One more Ashdown-related thread started by x4x... ;)
    Ok, let's go.

My choice would be the 1st one at no doubt.
    BTW, it IS my choice.

3. x4x

x4x

May 10, 2003
    Erps-Kwerps
    hey can't blame me, i want my rig REAL BAD :)

and i can't make any choices

4. I´ll second Jean. While the Hartke head is OK (I don´t care for the tube pre though), the TP cabs are not very good. Warwick gear is alright, but I find them a bit sterile sounding and not very loud.

5. i love the warwick quadruplet preamp i just bought. it's outstanding. i got it based on my experience with the quad VI head through a warwick 410. i really enjoyed playing that rig in the store, but i can't comment on the mosfet head. i feel confident, though, that i would like any warwick amp based on previous experience.

i also have found the ashdown gear i've played to be too heavy-handed with its built-in mid-scoop sound. it sounds really clean and deep, but there wasn't much change when i turned the EQ knobs. for both of these assessments, your experience may be different.

robb.

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My turn to second CoolHat on the Hartke TP cabs.

The Ashdown MAG sounds really awesome. EQ's are very efficient, the tone stays tight even at high volume, and the general feeling over this amp is "depth" of sound. But you can (almost) make it sound close to, say, an SWR, if you want.

(hey don't get me wrong, I wrote "almost" and "close to"...)

I had an Ashdown ABM some time ago, and the MAG is basically the same amp, except the tube preamp which is replaced by a solid state one, and thus no drive here. Except that point, both have the same general feeling. The ABM has more EQ facilities, though. But those on the MAG are more than enough for me.

Finally, the MAG is perfect for rock, pop, jazz, funk (inc. slapping), and this generally can fit most needs...

7. Yeah, the Quadruplet is a completely different beast. I´ve thought about getting one as a more coloured alternative to my EBS-1 pre. But as I said, the Mosfet (isn´t it called Pro Fet) head didn´t impress me. Sound was clean but lacked the OOOMPH, If you know what I mean. Could have been the cabs too. But YMMV, of course.

8. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    would you people suggest a 2x10 cab or a 4x10 cab for somebody on a tight budget. would i get away with a 2x10 and a 1x15 to be heard over 2 guitarists and a drummer or would i need a 4x10, im also thinking strongly about a mag by the way, it seems much better than the behringer i was previously considering, but the cab decision is proving quite tough. so should i get a 2x10 and a 1x15 or a 4x10 and a 1x15, please dont say get the 4x10 unless it is really neccessary because it is a lot more money to shell out.

9. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    i tried the quadruplet with a power amp and the 411pro! and it sounded really loud! that cab is really great!

10. I have that exact warwick setup and it has satisfied me for a very long time. Its got a great sound to it. U could not go wrong with that setup :)

11. I had a Warwick Pro Tube IV for quite a while, and though it did have some really good tones it was not as loud as a 400 watt amp should be even running it in tube power mode. My GK 400RB IV is rated at 280 watts and is much louder. The Ws are good sounding amps though.
    I vote for the Ashdown.

12. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ashdown...nuff said.

13. one more vote for ashdown!!