1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick $$ vs EBMM Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshuaTSP, Apr 28, 2010.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    besides the obvious feature differences. What do you think?

:)

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    ok, so I have had a number of stingrays and a stingray SLO is my 'go-to' bass. Ive also had a corvette $$ and presently have a streamer $$. ... I play everything from Doom to Ambient, Punk to Folk/Indie.

Thoughts on em all: The stingray is still my Go-to as it can do very smooth round lows to pingy highs and has a good cut in heavier genres that just throbs. The Corvette $$ was very versatile except in the ONE area it needed which was the Mids. It had a very pronounced mid bump at like 300hz that just couldnt be tamed, the only option was to turn both the highs and bass knobs way up to match or beat the mid volume which made for a very hot signal with kinda boomy lows....The Streamer $$ however doesnt have that problem at all as its made from maple so it has a much more traditional midrange which i think makes it VERY cool... it still retains that "sound of wood" that lends its active electronics the naturalness of passive basses, but it sits in the mix very well set flat.

either the Streamer $$ or the Stingray are basses that i think ANYONE could get a very nice useful sound out of.. the Corvette $$ i think is more for the burpy/tubby jam band/311 sound.. which aint my bag.

that help?

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    also.. i found that with both $$'s the pickup switching is really cool. The up position, which i think is parallel is great, the mid which is single coil is a very good jazziness, and the down 'series' i find to be a little muddy with both pickups but with just one can be a nice thickener... my fave is rear up, front down... (insert favorite joke here)...

Ive also had a Stingray 4HH, and i think alot of folks gave it bad reviews cos they were expecting it to be a full throttle monster for heavy rock, instead of the same throttle but more versatile Stingray.... admittedly a few positions on it i find unusable, but some are heavenly..

Either way, I dont think you would go wrong with either.. or both.

4. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Love both basses, though Stingrays have the edge in my opinion. Even in single pup, it's such a versatile bass without being too over the top with tonal options. The $$ has even more possibilities, but I find it overwhelming and too difficult to dial in the sound I want (I'm also impatient and don't like to tinker with the sound much). I love Warwicks (I've got a corvette std 5 currently) and the way the neck feels, but I prefer the ergonomics of the stingray even more. I think both basses are very close overall, it's just the details and personal preference which makes the distinction between the two.

5. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I must agree with eyeballkid on this. I have a passive Corvette with an ash body and J style pups, and it exhibits a bit of the mid hump he describes. But something about the dual humbuckers in conjunction with the Warwick preamp really emphasizes this quality. It had never occurred to me before that it might be the ash body that was contributing to this effect, but it's certainly true that it's not a quality I've noticed in active Warwicks with maple or bubinga bodies.

In any event, I like everything about the 'Ray better. The neck feels faster to me, the electronics have a sweeter, warmer quality, the balance is better, and despite it's undeserved rep as a "one trick pony," with the HH or HS configurations you can dial up just about any kind of tone you desire.

Also, there have been a few threads here on TB mentioning spotty quality from Warwick recently. I can tell you from my own personal experience (30+ years of playing and owning just about every bass out there), EBMM is the only mass-producing manufacturer that I would buy a bass from unseen and unplayed. Their quality control is simply impeccable. And I don't have the concern many folks do with "light ones" versus "heavy ones!" My fretless 5 is around 11 lbs, and I like it that way!

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Funny thing is that I own both. :D

Just wanted to see what you all had to say about it. You guys really nailed it. wow.

I've got a EBMM Stingray 5 H with seymour duncan pickup and preamp. It sounds really good....basically the stock 'Ray tones but slightly less zingy.

I just picked up a Warwick Corvette $$ 5 last week. I'm completely in love with the neck on it. The body shape....not so much. :D The tonal options are wide, and can really cop all of the classic standard tones. P, J, 'Ray etc...

7. Scatterblak

Scatterblak

May 12, 2007
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Endorsing Artist for Low End bass guitars, DNA Amplification
    +1

I hate that 'one trick pony' attitude some folks have; on my SHMM, I can go from P-bass to Bernard Edwards to Geddy Lee without even going to my rack - just flip the switch, maybe dial a knob. MM's are some of the most versatile basses out there. I agree about the electronics as well - I've got a 90's 'wick NT Thumb 4 that I basically don't even play anymore because the 'Ray sounds as good or better on just about everything and balances WAYYY better.

+1 QC and their service as well -- you'd be really hard pressed to find a current manufacturer with better follow up service than EBMM.

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Ernie Ball all the way! I have four of em and counting! :)

9. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    WarwickCorvette5001.

VS

EBMMStingray030.