Warwick vs. Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kaizer4400, Jun 12, 2005.

1. kaizer4400

Jun 12, 2005
    I work at the local GC. I guess I'm the bass guy there, just by virtue of the fact that I am the only one who even knows how to play. Anyway, since I work there, I play nearly every bass that comes into the store. I came across a Warwick Corvette, which for some reason sounded much different than the other Corvettes, and I bought it. For the budget I was on, that was definitely the best bass for the price (remember I get special prices).

Anyway, I just came across a Fender Aerodyne J Bass. Well, it has P/J configuration, so I guess it's a J Bass. For some reason, this bass has much more defined low-end and clearer mids. The fretboard is ebony, which is better than ovangkol (I don't care who you are). This bass is much cheaper, sounds better, and plays better. I may trade, but I'm not entirely sure.

Keep in mind I was running this through a SVT classic and a 4x10 HLF cab. Anyone have an opinion when it comes to Fender vs. Warwick?
  2. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Its all up to you, and the tone your after. I find I tend to loike using gear that others find has bad tone, and making a good tone out of it, or at least what I think is a good tone. So if it sounds good to you, pick it up...
  3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Ok, first the Aerodyne has a rosewood fretboard. Second, the Corvette has a wenge fretboard. Wenge is much better than rosewood.

I would never ever trade a Warwick for a Fender, unless it was vintage.
  4. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Actually the board on your Corvette should be Wenge, Ovangkol is the neck wood.
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine

IMHO, that's more a matter of opinion. I wouldn't say either one is simply better than the other. Lotsa' folks love rosewood, and lotsa' top builders use it regularly on some of their best stuff with no problems.

All this said, tho, I actually like both Warwicks and Fenders, but they're really very different animals.

However, the solution is really very simple. As it's been said here MANY times, play both, buy one. Whichever one inspires you the most to play, is the one.
  6. JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    or just buy both!! You can never have to many basses!
  7. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Apples and Oranges.

Go with what you like more. If you like the Fender better than the Warwick go for it. They're two different beasts entirely.
  8. No Offense dude,

But I think it's an interesting observation that you got the board timbers on both basses wrong, and you're the bass guy at GC.

How many potential customers have you given misinformation to?

As far as your question goes.....me - I'd keep the Warwick, I love them, but the question you really gotta ask is which one do you prefer?

Just 'cause a bunch of dudes on a forum say one thing doesn't mean you'll agree ;)

Good luck!

9. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003

+1. That explains why i never shop at GC! ;)
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think there's no other answer than...

...to buy a MM.
    Here's my story:

I wanted either a Corvette or an American P-bass deluxe. I bought the Corvette. After a while I felt like you did about the sound, thought the bass was too heavy to jump around with, and added a P-deluxe to my collection. Mind you I had no money to do this, but figured out a way. Played the P-bass all the time, but something was wrong. Compared to the Warwick the P felt like a toy, and there was always something going wrong with it. It also didn't deliver anywhere near the bottom I had gotten used to with the Warwick. What to do? Save my money and buy a Sterling. Home at last. Quality that surpassed the Warwick, and the sound I was always after. Cut through the mix like no bass I ever owned, and even had some versatility to it. In the back of my head though I always wished for a little bit more versatility, and I still missed the low end the Warwick put out. Then God created the Bongo.

I've sold my Warwick, I've sold my P-bass, the sterling is on the chopping block because I'm buying a car I can't afford today, I have 1 Bongo that is ALL I play, and another (5 string) currently on order.

P.S. There are about 12 other basses under $500 squashed into that story that weren't even really worth mentioning.

P.S.P.S. If I were ever considering a Fender again I'd get an SX from Rondo and swap the pickups. I had a fretless Jazz who's quality blew away the American P I bought for $1000 more.
  11. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    personally I like Fenders better I went into GC to get a corvette andI thought for sure I would get it and then I ended up walking out with a MIA deluxe Jazz instead because IMO it was better
  12. kaizer4400

Jun 12, 2005
    Ok wait a second,

The Corvette I have was a special order for someone who requested a solid Ovangkol neck, including the fretboard. The person didn't come through on that order, and so I liked the way it felt at first. I picked it up after that.

I meant to say rosewood on the Fender. I know it's rosewood, I guess I said ebony instead. I don't pay attention much when typing these.

Just because you've had bad experiences at GC doesn't mean we're all assholes. And if you need an answer about a bass and you ask one of us, you don't even know what you're looking for to begin with. Do your research instead of blaming us for not knowing every spec about every guitar we carry.
  13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    No offense, but isn't this what the music store sales people are supposed to be for? To help with this? Isn't that why you typically pay more at a storefront than online?

IMHO, this is an incredibly poor attitude. If you work at a business, you represent them, and hopefully are knowledgable about the products. At least that's what most people should hopefully be able to expect.
    BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  14. Obviously illustrates the problem with Wal-Mar... er I mean GC. Maybe TB should be required reading for all new GS employees.
  15. kaizer4400

Jun 12, 2005
    The statement above was directed to the people who use this forum. People who use this forum usually know what they play and know what they like. The people at GC are supposed to be able to answer most if not all general questions. Like I said before, we carry very many different guitars to know every detail on all of them, but we still try. If you require that much service when you walk into a guitar store, that's fine with me. I'll hold your hand while we pick out a guitar for you. ;)
  16. You guys should be doing your research because as a sales associate you are responsible for knowing your products. Its acceptable if I ask the PA guy about a Pedulla and he knows nothing about it, but he should know his PAs and you should know your basses. You've only got one department to worry about. Do yourself a favor and make sure you know as much and more than your customers and leave the fumbling salesmen to Samash.

I think its been said enough times that YOU have to decide which bass sounds better and will work better for you. If you think the Aerodyne has better lowend clarity and that's what you're searching for, than get that. Ask yourself what you like and don't like about the Warwick and the Aerodyne, and then think about what you'd be sacrificing to switch in regards to looks, sound, comfort, and playability. The guitarist in my band will put gear on his GC card with no interest or payments for 12months, and then try it out at practice and if it's not working or is nothing special, he brings it back. With a reduced employee's price and no interest for a year you could probably afford to get both if you wanted.
  17. Both have very very different feels to them. Personally I hate the feel of Warwick necks, but that's just me. I don't think it's even a contest, Fender all the way man.
  18. agreed.
  19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I also see a LOT of folks come here looking for the same kind of basic advice in choices, so I'm not so sure you should automatically assume someone asking a question here (or at GC) should already have a certain level of knowledge. We're here to HAPPILY help ANYONE, and IMHO, you should be too.

Am I saying you should tell someone what to buy? No. However, you should be informed enough to compare/contrast the products to a reasonable level of detail, so the (previously) uninformed can make an effective/informed decision based on their own preferences.

I'm not saying you should take the heat for any general incompetence viewed as being an unfortunate GC trait/trend, but I am saying I think it's fair for someone to expect a reasonable amount of expertise from someone at a music store... beyond "general", anyway. After all, it ain't Wal-Mart... or at least IMHO it shouldn't be.

Customer service: It'll keep'em away, or keep'em coming back. There's no middle road there.
  20. I've had a sales company and it's your job to know the product. If you work in basses, you don't need to know every instrument, but you should know that product well. It's what people pay for. BUT, I don't know what kind, and how much training GC gives you. Ultimately it's their job to make sure its employees are well informed about what's being sold. On the other hand, you can be pissed, but your attitude towards customers is poor, and it will be reflected whether you mean to or not.