Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WARWICK VS GODIN

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Claude, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Claude

Claude

Jul 31, 2000
    I'm still trying to find the 5 string that seduces me out of my cash. Right now I'm looking at the Warwick Streamer (2 pickup) against the Godin SD5 (P/J setup). Here's your chance to influence my buying decision. I play rock/pop and pluck heavily mostly with my first two fingers - (I get some clatter off of the neck, but the rest of the band and the sound man don't seem to think it matters) - no pick for me - a tiny bit of thumb/pop.(Workin' on it!) To throw in another variable for thos very few who've read this far, does the Warwick Thumb bass have a thin tone on account of the pickups being so far towards the bridge? I really like the wide open space between the end of the neck and the neck pickup, but what about tone? (I've never played one yet)

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm going to try a different approach here...so, I ask your patience...

Have you played both? What were the characteristics that you heard or felt of both?

3. Claude

Claude

Jul 31, 2000
    You're so right about that approach - thank you. I guess I'm looking for 'catastrophic' experiences that would preclude working with one manufacturer or another e.g. so & so has necks that delaminate or so & so doesn't honor their warranty, etc. Thanks for the reply

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I know a little bit about Warwick...I'm not personally a fan of Warwick instruments, but for reasons regarding how I don't like the sound or feel. But, that's entirely personal. Warwick, from all that I've heard, is really a great manufacturer, though. High quality stuff.

Godin is one I'm less familiar with. But, to my knowledge, they're also a high quality manufacturer.

I think you should be safe with either one. The one thing I'd recommend to you to play it safe, aside from others soliciting their own two cents worth, is decide which one feels and sounds better to you.

If either were notoriously quirky or controversial, I'd have let you know. There ARE brands that I'd ALWAYS shy away from, but these two brands are not among that list.

And, incidentally, the brands I try to shy away from, other people have posted positive things about on these boards.

5. I haven't seen the new SD5 yet, but I think the SD4 is a very well made bass and a tremendous value. It sounds great, and is made with top notch materials and workmanship. I really would like to get a second 5 string bass and I'm very interested in playing a SD5. Also, the new version of the BG5 looks very nice with the new figured tops and finish options.

I have 4 Godin instruments (3 guitars and 1 bass) and they are all very well made and great sounding.