Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick vs. MusicMan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Sep 9, 2003.

Which company makes better basses?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2003.
  1. Warwick

48 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. MusicMan

52 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Who wins and why?

2. I like MM more than Warwick.

I just don't like the Warwick tone, or the big beefy neck.

But then again I liked mud tone about 6 months ago, and now I am sportin DR's.

Gimme another 6 months, and my mind may have been changed by then.

3. that is a tough choice, I wish I could've picked a Pending option cuz I find that each of them has their glorious moments...the musicman finishes are cool, but the pickguards are excessive, then I love the bodies on warwicks, they're elegant and beautiful

4. Warwick...they offer a bigger selection of options and prices as far as basses go than musicmans do...music man has 1 body style that im aware of...warwick many. Warwick prices go as low as 350 for a rockbass (which might i add are amazing for the price)...and as high as 3k+ for an infinity or custom job. Musicman has not as wide a variation ive seen 600$ ones and once from 1000-1400 may be more but thats all ive seen.

As far as tone i love my warwicks growl and tone...action is amazing to my standards...amazing mids lows and highs...i cant say anything bad about it...

But musicman is also specified in its own tonal capabilities i do not diss on them ...but personally i dont like the body they have or the pickgaurds ((When useing a pick on my warwick...my pickgaurd= 4 piece of paper matted ontop of eacheother taped to the body Ghettoness baby!)) Musicmans are by far a good company...but i think warwick superceedes them in many ways.

My 2 cents...

-Vince

5. I have a little Sterling Onyx that I drag out to gigs for the odd number. It's a great sounding and playing bass; great bang-for-the-buck factor.

But I also have several 1990 Warwicks: Dolphin, Streamer (from before Stage II, but that style) and a Thumb. These are seriously fine basses. If I were to compare any of my Warwicks to a pre-EB MM, I would personally still choose the older Warwick.

If I had to compare recent production models only, I would buy the W over say an SR5 if I:

1/. found a really good Warwick
    2/. could justify the big price difference based on point 1.

Otherwise, the MMs are close enough for a lot less money.

6. musicman wins of course.. they play better and sound better. anyone who tells you different is lying to you! :eek:

7. I would take a music man over a warwick. the stingray has a great classic tone and I love the tone that the sterling has. but I would take a spector over both of them. if you are into the looks of the warwick check out the spector euope series.

8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I would say that no one wins. Warwick offers a wider variety of instruments for all different types and styles of players. Ernie Ball offers one basic style (shape) of bass. The MM basses are not as versatile as warwicks can be,to me they pretty much only get one type of sound(Sterling being more versitile than the Stingray), but a good sound it is. I own a Stingray and have had a Warwick, totally different creatures .

9. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I voted Warwick. But I really don't think anyone can "win". I don't like the MM's tone or necks at all, but it's all about personal preference man ;) :D

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Voted MM.
    personal criteria only

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The sports team that scores the most goals/points/baskets... whatever!

12. I never ever tried a Warwick, but I hear they have chunky necks, so this might be a turn off to me. They seem to sound fine, though.

Music Men (sic) are very well made, have a powerful tone, are pretty playable, and IMHO they make the best looking 5-strings ever. The sad thing is they don't offer enough grrrrowl to satisfy my sonic tastes. :(

Edit: I didn't vote since there's no "carrots" option.

13. OK, I played Warwick for a long time, up until very recently, I've had 2 thumbs, a st1, a st2 and 2 streamer jazzman basses, I walked into a local music shop about 4 months back, picked up a 20th anniversary 'ray, bought it and eventually went on to sell the Stage 1 and Streamer jazzman I had at the time!

I like Warwick basses! but I found something extra in the MM that I hadn't had for a while, the Streamer Jazzman with it's MM pick up dosen't have it but it does have a vastly superior tonal range, the jazzman has to be the bass to get if you want to be able to dial in loads of different sounds.
    The MM pickgaurds are obviously not too everyones taste, the answer is simple, remove it or fit a clear one, I've removed mine on my 20th ann' 'ray and it looks great, going to fit a clear pickgaurd as I have a habit of hitting the body just under the G string when playing slap

As for the necks, they are chunky, for me it made playing other basses feel odd as I'd played Warwicks for several years. My preference is for a flatter neck profile, more than the 'ray, more like a Status, hence my search for a NAMM 'ray with a Status graphite neck!
    I once owned a Dolphin pro 2 from the mid 90's this is diiferent than the current Dolphin in that it has a bolt on maple neck with a wenge fretboard, that bass had a lot flatter profile to it, all Warwicks should have necks like that!

I recently played a set neck Dolphin and that was killer, the tone was nice, playing finger funk style lines off the bridge pick up was bang on, real tight and solid!

Hows that for a balanced view!

Tony

14. You sir, are correct!!!

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I prefer warwick bc i like the tone and i like the neck. I dont mind the larger neck even though my hands arent huge, bc i play a 5 string, so its not like size really matters anyway. If i played a 5, maybe then itd matter.

16. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i picked warwick, i find them much much easier to play. i really never have liked the ray musicmans have that big fat pick up right there. it always got in my way when i played with a pick. i also never found it to comfortable to play with fingers either. i just find warwicks to be overall more comfortable.

17. thadood

thadood

Jun 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    For the longest time, I wanted a Warwick bass. The beauty and tone is excellent! I finally played one. Make that six. I was disgusted with how they felt in my hand. After that, I played on several MM's, and fell in love with the feel and the tone with one single note.
    MM better fit my style and preference in feel, that's about it.

18. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    ombudsman -- What bass/basses do you use/prefer to get the growl you mentioned? I'm a long-time MM owner who's seriously considering a change in pursuit of serious growl, but so far I've seen many options all of which are far from certain "growlers" (if there is such a thing).

19. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I vote for Warwick. It's my preference.

On the other hand, it is comparing apples and oranges. If you want the MM sound you buy a Music Man, if you want the Warwick Sound you get a Warwick. Each one has it's own unique characteristics that give em their individual sound. For the MM, it's the six bolt neck, the pickup and preamp. For the Warwick it's the bell brass frets, wenge fretboard, double bridge and exotic woods. These are quite different when you consider electronics, woods, hardware, specs, etc.

They are both great basses with differences in terms of playability, and sound. IMO, I consider the MM necks to be "chunkier" than the Warwicks. Both of these basses have growl, but the frequencies where they growl differ between the two. I prefer the Warwicks because they have the best playing necks I have put my hands on. They have a sound that fits me. They are also great values on the used market.