Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick vs. other high end manufacturers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kroy, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Inspired by this thread:

Beware, car metaphors abound. I'm not sure why.

I've been playing bass for a while now but I've never been a real gear-head until recently (many of you will be glad to know that since joining this forum my GAS has increased exponentially.)

For a long time I considered Warwick to the absolute Top-of-the-heap (the Cadillac of basses), mainly because they were the nicest basses I'd had any experience with. Truth is, I'd never heard of Zon, F bass, Jerzy Drodz, Ritter, et. al. before coming here. Soon after I revised my opinion into thinking Warwick must be more of a Volvo. Still a great bass but not a Bentley... er Alembic. Anyway I'm just wondering what the community's opinion at large is of Warwick and it's place in the grand pecking order.

Now I know that everybody's opinions are personal and they're all like belly buttons and other various orifices but I still am curious. I'm sure we'll have some people that would only ever play Warwick and some that would only release their Modulus when pried from their cold dead hand. Anyway, I'm just curious as to what people think.

Discuss.

Edit: For my part, I still really like Warwick and a Thumb or a Dolphin will probably be my next bass upgrade.

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Like you, I thought warwicks were the bee's knees before I joined this forum. I used to lust for one every day of my early basshood, and now well, I am the proud owner of a corvette std. I love my bass, but am definitely aware of the large mass of other bass companies out there that one could consider to be "better" (its all opinion right?) than warwick. That being said, I am happy with my bass, but I am in no way a warwick-a-holic who will only play 'wicks for the rest of his/her life.

I thank TB and TB alone for opening my mind up to all the other wonderful basses out there.

-Alex

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Well, I AM a Warwick fanatic, but not to the point that I don't like other basses. I'll always check out other basses, because there are some that are on my wishlist, like MTD, Roscoe, Valenti, Sadowsky, etc., but I'll ALWAYS have my Warwick Streamer Stage 1 5. It's my "holy grail" bass.

4. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    its funny, how like warwick has the perfect target market. they some how find a way to infatuate every starting and intermediate bassist, when they see the fancy ones in GC and other music stores. i myself was obsessed with warwick. but now, i want a custom stambaugh 100 times more.

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Until recently I played a Warwick Thumb 5 on a regular basis. I couldn't stand it, and none of the Warwicks I've played since have revised that opinion. No matter how hard I tried, what I did to set it up, the thing just played and felt awful. The tone was OK, but why do I want to punish my hands when there are more playable basses for less money?
    I used to think they were the best basses on the planet, and now the only reason I'd even accept one free would be to turn around and sell it to someone who likes them.

6. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Interesting, I really like the Thumb's tone. That's why a Thumb or Dolphin will probably be my next upgrade. I played a Dolphine SN and it seemed to me that I got the same nice deep, dark tone as the thumb but without the initial awkwardness of the stubby thumb body. I've since gotten over the thumb awkwardness and would take either one.

Though I do plan on modding my strap pins on whatever bass I end up getting. I'm going to move the pin higher up on the body (ala Claypool) to shift the body more toward my centerline. I like my bass to sit right over my belly button.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Thing is, as they're cheaper over here, I've never really considered Warwick a high-end manufacturer, they used to have pretty affordable models such as the Streamer LX, the Corvette and the Fortress. It's similar to how an American Fender costs an arm and a leg over here now.

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I hate Warwicks, but I think I'm the only one.

9. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    So what you're saying is I should fly to Germany to buy my dolphin Pro I :)

10. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Actually my Girlfriend raises an interesting question concerning this idea.

I wonder if it would be cheaper (after shipping and customs, etc.) to buy a Warwick from a local German dealer and have them ship it to the states?