Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick vs Spector vs Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adamaarts, Aug 30, 2003.

Which bass to get?

Poll closed Sep 29, 2003.
  1. Warwick Corvette Standard 5

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Spector NS2000/5 NeckThru

29 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Carvin LB75 NeckThru

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Any other Ideas?

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Ok heres the deal, my dirtbike has been sold and im waiting for the $1800 to come so i can get a new bass and some accesories.

Im deciding between the Warwick Corvette Standard 5, Spector Ns2000/5, or the Carvin LB75.

I like the price on the Spector ($759) and I love the feel of their very thin neck. The warwick, i love the tone and playability, and the wood, man its beayutiful, but that would put a hole in my pocket at $1289. Then theres the Carvin, i havent played it in a while but from what i remember it had a nice neck, solid body and had very good playability, but i dont know about Carvin, something about them scares me, i have a R1000, Carvin speaker cable, and an RL115. the speaker is trash, the cable started crackling after three uses, and the amp works but who knows what may happen, i dont know how reliable Carvins basses are compared to their other products.

Im not sure which to go with, i still need to go check them all out and see what i like regardless of price. But the Warwick had me not sleeping for three days after i played it it was so amazing. I didnt get that with the other two, maybe that should be my deciding point.

I would also like to have a good amount left over to put in savings and to get soime long needed accesories like a rack tuner, bigger rack case and some effects pedals.

Any help is appreciated.

:::edit::: just so you know, i play in a rock band that is growing in the Spanish scene. I need a bass that can handle a low A tuning and still have good tension. And reliability is a must. Thanks!

2. I voted for the Spector because I've been GASsin' for one badly for a while now, but all that adult responsibility stuff keeps interfering with my plans :)

If the Warwick is causing you to lose sleep, then that should be telling you something BIG TIME - go for it!

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Search, also, with that budget, why not spring for a rebop, or a neck thru Czech?

Get the Spector.

4. out of the things you said I would go with the spector. I think it would be worth it to spend a little more and get a Rebop or mabey you could find a used czsech one.

there is a lot to choose from and here are just af few other things you might take a look at:

Lakland skyline 55-02 or 44-02 (4 or 5 string)
    music man stingray or sterling
    G&L L2000 or L2500

5. get a used corvet, there better with wengs necks any ways, i got a 4 string for 650$ off of ebay.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im debating between warwick and spector, cant decide. I voted spector tho but now im not sure.

7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    You should really consider checking out Peavey Cirrus basses. Easily in your price range new or used, available in 4,5, or 6 string. They have fantastic build quality, slim fast necks, killer sound, a variety of wood choices, etc..
    Don't let the Peavey name put you off, they are amazing instruments with a great reputation here on TB. Do a search and you can read all about 'em. I've owned Fenders, Yamahas, Warwick Streamers and Thumbs, Roscoes, etc. and the only two basses that I have now are Peavey Cirrus.
    Just my opinion but I'll bet you're going to hear more of the same from others.
    PEAVEY CIRRUS!

8. I have a corvette FNA 5 and it handles the low A really well. My band actually tunes down a whole step. No problems here.

9. these guys have a real sweet looking spector NS 5 CRFM on sale for $1195. it is toward the bottom of the page. you might have a look at it. it is used but looks like it is in mint shape.

http://www.bassalone.com/5string.html

and you could also check out http://www.basscentral.com and look at their spector section. they have used ones in often. buying used really gets you the most for your money and I love the europe spectors with the inlays. my only beef is that the string spacing is a little tight for me.

10. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I voted other: Spector Rex 5

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Another vote for Spector, but with your budget, and especially if the Warwick that has your attention is $1200, then maybe you should look for a used Czech Spector. You should be able to get a mint condition used one for the Warwick money!

12. u can get a sic corvet 5 for under 1000$, i got a 4 string for 650$ that was mint. pluse if u go use with warwick u can get a weng neck and the brass nut.

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    And if he goes Spector, he will get a beautfuly hand made Czech Bass with tons of sounds and sizzle.

Maybe spelling better would swoon him over?:meh:

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Those Czech Spectors have "the money sound" to me.

The MEC pups on Warwicks and Carvin's pups just left me cold.

15. corky st. clair

corky st. clair

Apr 22, 2003
    and maybe reading the guy's signature would make you look less like a...well, you seem ready with snappy come backs, you'll probably think of something.

what does 'soon him over' mean anyway?

16. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Polly - ya might want to retract that last line.

Anyway, I've never played a Carvin I liked, the latest of which was just today. Granted, it was a passive four string tobacco burst model - not a "higher end" model, but man that thing just felt, played and sounded.....cheap.

I'd probably go the Warwick out of the three.

17. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I liked the Spector NS2000/5 so much, I got the bolt on version as my "back-up" bass (NS2000Q5)

I say go for it...and then upgrade the electronics. Just put EMG 40DCs in the neck thru and I run the EMG BT circuit at 18 v...just beefilicious man!

18. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    man now i got myself into this deeper.

i went to guitar center to try out the spector and the warwick. they didnt have the corvette in a 5 string, nor did they have the neckthru spector.

they did however have a bolt on czech spector 5 string. i played it, it was as good as the neck thru but the strings were very light on it so it didnt have good tension at all. its tone was great but that finish wasnt to my liking. and the bolt ons have the ugly ass maple neck, which IMO makes any bass look CHEAP.

they alos had a warwcik thumb 5, which i had to try. the tone was woodier and not as hifi as the spector but i loved the tone from this thing. the tension was great, the tone was great and i think it was beautiful. the price was 1600 but the guy said out the door for 1300. i could easily get one used though. so this bass was definitely added to my list.

they also had a FNA jazzman corvette. i liked the flamed top and it played ok, but not good enough for the pirce. and the electronics and controls had me messing around for too long to get a good tone. so im definitly staying away fron that one.

i still need to try the carvin again, and the corvette and the actuall spector i want, but its hard to find these around.

19. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    With your budget I would try everything I could within that price range. My vote given your limited set of choices would be the Warwick.

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Out of the three you mentioned, I would go with the Warwick. But I would check out the used market and try to pick up a Czech Spector, like others have already mentioned. Or a used Warwick Thumb or Streamer LX. IMHO, you will be happier in the long run.