Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Vs Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bstringrandy, Jul 10, 2005.

1. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Here's the deal: I have a Warwick Corvette Std 5 Bubinga/Wenge/Ovankol. I love the bass and it's tone. I recently suffered a back injury, nothing serious requiring surgery, but a twisting injury that's taking it's time to heal.

The Warwick is heavy as most of you know. I have a local music shop that has a used Spector NSJH-5CM. 35" scale, Ash body, jazz neck p/u and humbucker bridge p/u. It's a US Bolt-on dated in 2003. It's in absolutely mint condition with a hard case. They're asking $1700 for it and I might be able to get them down to $1600 or so. It's been discontinued so I can't find what they sold for new. Is 1600-1700 a decent price for this bass? It feels like it weighs half of what the Warwick does.

Anyway, should I trade them the Corvette for the Spector? I know I'll get a decent trade on the Corvette based on it's current value. They seem to be pretty even from playing in the store. For those who might have experience with both, how does the Spector measure up to the Corvette?

I could just "grin and bear it" with the MIM Jazz 5 :bassist: until my back heals up or should I jump at the chance for the Spector?

thanks,
    Randy

2. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    First off, I think $1700 is alot for a used NSJH-5CM.
    $1200 or so is more like it IMHO. I think both are excellent basses. I own a Spector Euro 4 and I think it is awesome and rather heavy but I deal with it. I have tried a few 'vettes and have been pleasantly surprised by them but I agree they are heavy. If weight is really that much of an issue, I would go for the Spector, it is definitely a high quality instrument.

3. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    The Spector tonal qualities are a bit different than your Corvette. -But I, for one, don´t think the NSJH stands down for the Warwick, if we consider Tone -and quality in general. -And it´s much lighter to wear! J

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, even $1600 is probably pushing it. Most of the ones I've seen have gone for $1200-1300.

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    The Spector NSJH-5CM is a USA made bolt on bass that has a list price of $2899, I believe. For more information, get the serial number and email PJ Rubal pj@spectorbass.com The guy's awesome and will answer any and all questions.

6. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    I support this, send PJ an e-mail and I´m sure he´ll be very happy assist you in any way.
    This bass starts around $2900. So $1600 is not much for this instrument if it is in good or even mint shape.

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    That's list price... I believe they generally sell for around $2300-2400 new.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Warwicks are just different, spector wont be a step down at all.

9. The NSJH-5CM is the fancy figured-maple version of the bass, and the list prices have gone up recently--they listed for $2499 not so long ago, and that's still *list* proce and not actual selling proce. Seems like the ash-bodied version listed for a few hundred bucks less, so $1600 for a used one seems a bit high. But since the ash version is no longer being made, if you want one you'll have to look at used basses, and the original list price doesn't make so much difference...

Mike

10. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    I know.. But living overseas I always consider off the official list price.
    And being a former Spector distributor, I know that they don´t sell for the list price.

11. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks everybody for all of the info!

I picked up NS-JH5 #137 today. She does have a maple body, not ash and plays like a dream! I was able to get it out the door for $1500 including a hard case. The shop will only give me around $600 in trade for the Corvette, so she's staying with me for now....

You can never have too many basses right?

Randy