Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick VS spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Is just me, or do these look alike ( Bodies ) ???

[​IMG]
    Spector NS-2JCM Blue

[​IMG]
    Warwick Streamer Stage II

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm with you, you are right. and i don't know how possible is that two different brands could look so similar. in terms of sound i still prefer the spector...

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Warwick bought the rights to use the NS (Ned Steinberger) Shape.
    Thats why it is actually the same shape with very slight mods.

4. two great basses. :) Lets not get a little war over this. hehe

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Luis is right.. i think Spector sued warwick on it one time.. but i guess its all worked out for.. when I met Nino.. he said that the Warwick and Spector necks are like NIGHT and DAY. now i really wanna try a Spector!!! :D even thoguht i want my Salas Custom 5 first :D

DM:

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    exactly - back in the day warwick paid to be able to use that body, so that's how they can. but how could two basses that look so alike sound so different?! :D

i personally prefer the warwick feel/sound, but that doesn't mean i don't think spectors are kick ass basses.

jason

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Warwick5S: I hear that the SSI sounds just like a Spector :D :D :D

8. I like both brands a lot, but would probably take a Spector over a Warwick.

In regards to the NS body shape: I wish that more makers would use it or something inspired by it.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't think thay look alike. :D:D:D

10. never tried a spector, but i do love warwicks!

11. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    warwicks are good so are spectors but never played a spector though ( but like the warwicks

12. Yeah, Warwick bought the body shape like Luis said. It's only used on the Streamer models though.

And yes, Warwick necks and Spector necks are totally different. Almost total opposites.

Personally, I do not like 'the sound of wood'. It just turns me off 100%. I suppose that Warwick are a good make, but I can't comprehend what anyone would want in that tone. Sorry:D

However, my guitarist really pissed me off today; I was playing an Ibanez BTB405(my next bass), and my drummer and guitarist were talking about the Warwick tone(I was playing an Incubus song..I dialled in a close approximation of the Warwick tone, without that growliness). I said that the funny thing was that an Ibanez could compete with a Warwick almost double it's price(Streamer LX), but because they were totally different basses. However, my guitarist thinks that any Warwick is better than a top-of-the-range Ibanez. Like he thinks Peavey make better bass amps than Trace Elliot. And PRS's guitars are better than anything on earth because they cost the most.

I could've throttled him.

13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador

14. OK, so a Streamer Standard is better than one of those handcrafted Prestige model Ibanez's?

And Peavey make better bass amps than Trace Elliot? Right...

PRS? Overrated.

15. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    just curious, how come every time i read a post by pantera fan, its an arguement or contradiction of someone else's post and your word is final?
    anyway, here is my experience with these two bass companies. i was looking to buy a new bass. i did lots of research and played as many as i could. i looked and the warwick corvette std. and spector ns2000Q. i liked the warwick better, i liked the way it sounded more than any of the other basses i treid so i got it. i never tried any of the higher end spectors, so i cant vouch for them.

16. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    LOL!
    I was just kidding!

17. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    HeHe i like both the spector and the warwick! So i bought both! I have a warwick corvette pro-line from the early 90s that i had custom made and i just orderd a custom spector ameriacan bolt on 5 string! I love both co. And theya re totoally diff from each other! Some one said that they are night and day and that could be anymore true! Who said that ibaneze could make a better bass that warwick? Are you kidding me? Ive played the high end iba and made me want to puke! after playing warwicks and specotrs i have a really hard time playing other basses because of the quality diff! Well i mean any bass under 2000.

18. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Man my english and grammer always sucks but really bad tonight sorry iam drunk!

19. Dammit!

But please, how hard is it to type :), :D, or ;)?

:D

Eric, a Prestige model Ibanez is hand crafted and as close to a boutiqe bass as Ibanez make. They also cost approx. $3000. Totally different beasties to normal Ibanez. I believe that feature and quality of manufacture-wise they could compete with Warwick on some grounds... maybe up to the Thumb BO level, but not something like a Dolphin, or a Thumb neck-thru, or a custom. The only difference after that is what you like, and whether you are influenced by the name on the headstock:rolleyes:

20. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I just hate the feel and the sound of them so much!