Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick vs. uhh... Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timidbassist, Feb 5, 2005.

1. So i was in GC and i played two Warwicks. I played the Steramer Stage I 5 string and absolutely LOVED the playability the way the neck is wide and flat on bottom and all but the tone just didnt seem to be there. Then i played an FNA Jazzman (both through Ampeg SVT 4 Pro and Classic 810 cab) and the tone was absolutely incredible! I couldnt beleive how awesome that sounded with the combination humbucker/j coil. Now i have come to learn that there is a Streamer Jazzman model out as well. Now if anyone knows about them here is my question. Does the Streamer Jazzman have the same body and neck as the Streamer and just the electronics of the Jazzman or whats the theory there? If i could get a Streamer Stage I 5 string with the Jazzman pups (as i understand the Streamer Jazzman to be) that would be ideal. Does anyone know how that all work? I would appreciate hearing about it.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The Stage I Streamers have wider string spacing than the standard Warwick 5 and 6 string basses. Normal 'wick spacing on 5's and 6's is 16.5 millimeters while the Stage I is 20 mm, 1 mm wider than what is considered "normal" string spacing ala the Fender Jazz which is 19 mm. The Streamer Jazzman is the Streamer body with the Jazzman electronics package, and it might be made of swamp ash as well with the maple cap like the Corvette FNA Jazzman is. The Warwick website should be able to answer your questions for you for the most part, they have a .pdf file with all their models and specifications.

3. Are those your basses? They are very nice, but i guess for both of you my MAIN question is are they the same neck because i really like that flat bottom on the Streamer I neck. It appears on the Warwick site that the width is different thus the string spacing different but i dont know if that means it wouldnt have the flat bottom or not. Anyone know that?
    Thanks again,
    Dave

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Unfortunately, they're not mine. They're from two eBay auctions going on right now....

I did own a 4-string SS1, though.

By "flat bottom", are you talking about the finderboard radius, or the back of the neck? The fretboards are always pretty flat - at least on all the ones I've played. The newer necks are all pretty similar as well - pretty thick, but very playable.

Sorry I'm not much more help.

Oh, one thing to keep in mind is that the SS1 is neck-through, while all the Jazzmans are bolt-on. You can do a custom order, but it'll cost ya. ;)

5. Yes, i do want the neck through. I think ill just be getting a Stramer Stage I 5 then haha. I will make those electronics work, just have to mess with them some more.
    Thanks,
    Dave

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    This is just my experience, but I wouldn't rush into it man. You can only spend 1700 bucks once bro, be SURE it's what you want before you settle on something that'll cost you a ton of cash not easily replaced. I've done it a couple of times....

7. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Good post. I'm not trying to sound condescending by any means, but that's a pretty big purchase for someone your age. If you're dead-set on getting one, play that one you tried a million times, until you're positive it's for you.

FWIW, the SS1 5er with the optional SD electronics is sweet. I like it much better than the MECs.

8. Yea im deffinitly not going to rush into a sale, but i want to find out what im looking into so when i do decide to spend that much i already know exactly what i want. Thanks for the input though, i do happen to be a kind of person that wants to buy something then later realizes i shouldnt have haha. I do truly want one but there will be a lot of thinking involved for sure. But back to the question, what would the SD electronics be? Different pups, or just electronics?
    Danke sehr,
    Dave

9. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Seymour Duncan Basslines pups. I'm not sure what the preamp is, though. IIRC, this was an option a few years back. I can't seem to find it on the site now.