Warwick Warranty Success Story!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Jun 21, 2001.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I bought a Warwick Corvette Standard 5-string in October 2000 from Rik’s Music in Knoxville and had it shipped to Tampa. I immediately had it professionally set up with new strings. The guitar had the wenge fret board with an ovangkol neck. About four months later, I again had the guitar set up and the tech noted a slight twist in the neck when he lowered the action a bit. He advised me to watch it to see if it got any worse. Playing wasn’t affected. At that time I e-mailed Dana B. Goods (Warwick distributor) and told them about the problem. They told me at that time that if I would send the guitar to them, they’d evaluate it and replace the neck if necessary. About three weeks ago, I was about to have new strings put on and my tech said that I shouldn’t bother because the neck had worsened. I packed the guitar up and sent it out to Rob at Dana B. Goods and he replaced my neck with a “firmer” all-wenge neck. This was all accomplished over my two-week vacation with no “down time.” Thought everyone might want to know about this warranty success story. Hats off to Dana B. Goods and Warwick for backing their product!
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    again...why ovangkol sucks.

it's nowhere near as good as wenge. they really shouldn't even use it.

3. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Oh great, I've just bought an LX 5 broadneck with a......yes you guessed it, Ovangkol with wenge finger board neck. I heard that Wenge is used less cos its getting a bit short in woods, anybody heard this and anybody give me any advice as to how to prevent the twisted neck problem? Is it inevitable?

Getting paranoid already and I aint gigged the thing yet!!
  4. I bought a Thumb bolt on 4 and the fret board cracked 3 weeks later. I cracked right were you thumb hits the fretboard. They replaced it no problem. They said it was a rare case.
  5. I heard somewhere that Warwick was forced to begin using ovankol for necks because the country in Africa where most wenge comes from is in the middle of a civil war and they are unable to purchase enough of it to produce wenge necks.

That could be BS but that's what I've heard.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    So, do you like the Wenge??? My Thumb Bolt-on is a '97 model; the neck is all wenge. I paid a bit more for that one than a brand new one with a neck of ovancol/wenge eventhough it had the Adjust-a-nut. I absolutely love it. It's like a Louisville Slugger. I hear Warwick was not only having supply items from the source country, but that there was a preference for a lighter neck for better balance. (I got that story from my local dealer.) Too many whiners. Little puny weaklings are supposed to play Stratocasters, not bass!!!!