1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick wax on Ibanez SR 1300PM?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Whump, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Whump

Whump

Sep 19, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So I just acquired an Ibanez SR1300PM from a local shop for cheap. In great shape except the padauk front and back are looking dull and dry, like they haven't really been cared for in a while. The wenge neck streamers are looking pretty good.

Do you guys think I can/should use my Warwick beeswax that I keep for my Thumb bass (bubinga/wenge)? Or is there something else that's better for padauk?

Btw the bass is like this, except mine has the house Ibanez AFR active pups instead of the Barts/East setup. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174281-sold-ibanez-sr1300-japan-custom-made-w-east-u-retro-barts/

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I'm sure the Warwick Wax will do a fine job. You could also use something like Howard's Feed & Wax or Howard's Citrus Shield as an alternative since the Warwick Wax can be tough to find without going directly to the custom shop. I've also used Ken Smith Classic Wax Polish with good results but being a gel it's easy to use too much. It doesn't hurt the bass but doesn't help your wallet. They're all similar mixtures of beeswax, carnauba wax, and citrus oils.

3. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Whump, The Warwick Wax will work on any natural oil finish, and should be excellent for use on Padauk. We use high quality ingredients, with nothing that would harm natural wood in any way. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need assistance in any way. Thanks!

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The warwick wax would be among the best imo.

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    +1 Howards Feed and Wax. Home Depot. 8 bucks. Works great.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I keep wanting to call it "Howards Weed 'n Feed"...which puts you in the lawn & garden section at Lowe's.

Good stuff, cheap, readily available, and a single bottle will last you the rest of your natural life. I also use BriWax per Rob Elrick's suggestion.

Riis

7. Whump

Whump

Sep 19, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Great responses, thanks all. Gonna pull out my trusty tub of Warwick wax and go to town. Maybe I'll throw up before/after pics if I can find my camera.

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It's mostly petroleum distillates - over 80%. Just so you know.