1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Wax

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 12055, Nov 29, 2006.

1. 12055

Nov 10, 2006
    I just got my first warwick, but now I have a question: Where can I get Warwick Wax? The only guitar shop within 25 miles of college is Guitar Center. Do they sell it usually (it's still pretty far)?

-Ross

2. I believe GC should carry it. They also sell it online at musiciansfriend

3. so, how important is it to wax one's warwick?

(why do i feel like i just typed something inappropriate...)

4. warswr

warswr

Oct 21, 2006
    it helps build the body. It makes it look nice, it keeps the wood healthy. I did it more often when I first got my bass; warwick says as time goes on you need to do it less and less, but it sure does make the thing shine. Warwick should carry it because it comes with all new warwick basses, so granted they sell warwicks new, they'll have the wax on hand.

5. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Remember, only use the wax on an oil finish. If it has any kind of color stain, Warwick says not to use it.

6. Warwicks that use oil/wax are not sealed like basses with poly and other types of finish. The wood can dry out and cracks could form. The wood would be very vulnerable to climate, and all sorts of warping could occur.

Not as maintenance free as poly coat, but the trade off is a breathing piece of wood that is said to skip the years of aging it takes to reach the good tone an aged bass has. Warwick isn't the only one that does it, lots of luthiers offer an oil finish. I think Warwick is just the most known to do it standard on many of their products.

7. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Take a look at this
    http://www.warwickbass.com/tech/neck_crack.html
    I don't know if they're trying to scare us into buying the wax or not.
    My Thumb has had something like this since I bought it (used). It's a small spot about 1 inch at the base of the headstock where 2 pieces of wood are no longer perfectly even. It has never bothered me enough to do anything more than find this page about it though.
    I have waxed it regularly since I got it. So that could have kept it from spreading.

8. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Isn't that stuff just regular old beeswax? If so, get some at a craft store or tree-hugger/organic food store in your town.

9. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    I use the Warwick wax for the back of the neck and bought a product called Howard Feed-n-Wax Wood Preserver made of bees wax and orange oil that I use on the body. Seems to really bring out the grain and the big bottle is pretty cheap. While I have gone againts the Warwick recommendation I have had no ill effects and actually like the Howards better. I just like the provided Warwick wax on the back of the neck because it is a more solid consistencey and doesn't roll off the neck. This works for me. Still, proceed at your own peril!

10. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Wax is wax, wood is wood. Beeswax will be fine, however, you should have been provided a box of wax with your Warwick. Either by the previous owner (maybe he forgot), or by WW themselves.

You can always order it online, it's cheap.

11. I got my first Warwick in 1989 (Streamer Ltd, birdseye maple) and quickly got bored with the whole waxing thing...and the smell.
    My friends father is a french polisher so I gave it to him and he did some french polishing juju on the body and it's stayed shiny and clean (wipe with a damp cloth) ever since.
    The only oil I put on the neck is from my sweaty hands.
    I clean the fretboard (ebony) with lemon oil.

12. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    To generalize too much on what wax is ok to be applied to what is probably at least a thousand dollar bass (and I am sure that it isn't a Warwick Rock bass) isn't sterling advice. There is sealing wax, candle wax, surf wax, ear wax etc. etc. just all kinds of wax out there. Wax isn't just wax nor are all woods the same. Just stick with the Warwick wax and all should be well. I just got more adventurous and tried a product that worked well. Some oil and additives in certain products might not be so good though. Even too much fretboard oil has the poosibility of loosening your frets if you are too overzealous in it's use. A little goes a long way with the Warwick wax. Don't rub on big heaping chunks!:D

13. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    GC does not sell the wax.:crying:

14. just as well, it would probably be used but with a "new" price tag on it...

15. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    I would suggest removing the strings before waxing. Be very careful when you restring it to keep the bent end of the string from scratching the plastic on the headstock. I found it hard to keep wax out of the strings if I left them on. I also found it best to apply the wax with my fingers rubbing it in really well and then letting it sit for about 5 minutes, no more. If you let it harden up too much it becomes difficult to remove. I had a fretless and a fretted corvette and I waxed every bit of wood. The waxed ebony fretboard looked beautiful when waxed.

The Warwicks look a little dry coming straight from Germany. The wax really adds a beautiful sheen and glow to the bubinga.

I love my MM Sterling more than the Corvette I traded, but I would love to have another Corvette in the future to keep the Sterling company. Warwicks are beautiful.

16. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    That's weird, I get ALL my wax from GC.:confused:

17. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    If GC doesn't have it they can order it from Dana B. Goods. I ordered an original brass adjust-a-nut from thru GC as well.

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm not sure if this is cool to post here or not, but I have a brand new, unused can of warwick wax that I will sell cheap. Just send me a pm and we can work something out. If this post is against the rules, just let me know and I'll remove it.

19. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    so what are you supposed to do with a finished warwick?