Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Wear-down

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MrBungle3, Jul 13, 2002.

1. MrBungle3

MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Dallas
    My warwick streamer has a little shiney spot under the strings where my hand hits (I'm an agressive slapper I guess). What can I do to prevent more wear on this one spot, I polish the bass with the bees wax reguarly, but it doesnt seem to help too much. I'm not too worried about wear and tear much because I plan to be the only owner of the bass, but I still want to preserve as much as it as possible- - haha.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can try to remove it with 0000 grade steel wool. Then reapply oil and/or wax. Better test it first with a small spot. But you can always do a complete refinish if you don't like the result.

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I have a Streamer and I too have this issue. It really shows itself in any kind of light. I know nothing about waxing and refinishing, however... so for the moment, the spot stays:D .

4. MrBungle3

MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Dallas
    haha right on, I guess it gives it character or something..oh well

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The shiney spot is probably from sweat, anf other bolidy oils. If you look at the back of the neck, you'll prob see more shiney areas. Mine is really shiney on the g-string side from about the 3 - 8th frets, it's looks highly polished, but is just where my hand rubs the neck the most.

You could try rubbiing the area down to bare wood with fine steel-wool, or as I prefer, high grade Wet-n-dry paper. Then apply a generous helping of the wax.

This is also recommended for ant scratches, or as often the case with new oil finshed/bare wood guitars, rough spots where the grain has opened up, and the neck settles. After I had my Thumb for about 6 months, i felt a few rough spots on the back of the neck. I saw some of the Warwick guys and a national music show, and the said the afore mentioned treatment should work wonders. I also tend to rub a spot of fingerboard oil into the back of the neck as well. it's now one of the fastest necks I've ever played. Even to the point that I've steel-wooled the laquer off the neck of my spare bass, because the bare wood feel so much better.