Warwick / Wenge / When?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by midlife, Apr 29, 2002.

1. midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    I have a 1999 Warwick Thumb Bolt-on. It still has the wenge neck and fretboard.

The question is;

When did Warwick switch to Ovankol for their necks?

Which wood is considered to be the better of the two?
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it depends on the model. i think most of the bolt on's started changing in 99, with the thumb NT going in 2000 and everything else shortly thereafter - but you can still find some random up to 2000 boltons with wenge necks.

i PERSONALLY don't like ovangkol - it loses some of that growl that warwicks are supposed to have and doesn't have that organic feel to it, but some other people don't think it matters, so YMMV.
  3. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    There is just something about wenge for low-mid punch. I have a fretted Corvette(wenge neck) and a fretless Corvette(ovangkol). The wenge has the punch, while the ovangkol has sweetness. I think wenge is a phenomenal wood for bass necks. I even went as far as putting together a Warmoth J-bass with a wenge neck/ebony fingerboard. Dark and punchy! I don't know how much wenge costs over ovangkol, but it had to be a business decision...
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wenge may be more costly, but the main reason for the switch is because of civil war in The Congo putting a serious crimp in the wenge supply. It is almost possible to get right now, supposedly. I believe that all of the makers still offering it are working off of stock that is several years old.