Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick with no serial number?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ammar, Aug 23, 2005.

1. ammar

ammar

Aug 20, 2005
    Austria
    So this is the story...

Few days ago I eBay-ed a Warwick Streamer Stage II bass guitar. This is what eBay item description said:

" This auction is on this beautiful,unplayed,mint Warwick Streamer Stage 2, 5 string. Body built from african Afzelia, neck is 7 pc. ovangkol/afzelia and wenge fretboard,exclusive jing-jang pearl inlays,neck through. Electronics configuration: MEC J/J active 3-band.Gold hardware. Comes with hard case. Relist due to error in the listing."

It was a "buy-it-now for 1250 Euro (~$1530)" item. I went for it.

It turns out:

- there is no invoice
    - there is no documentation of previous guitar history

But the funniest thing is that there is no serial number (?!?!?!?).

"The bass has no serial number, or I didn´t found any,usually placed on the back of the head"

"I know where the number should be,but bass has no serial number. I bought it from Germany,on market and I am not the first owner."

"I cannot warranty history of the guitar..I just bought it as it is,so I´m selling it as it is. Serial number is not sanded, it´s just not there."

I'm not considered much about the mint condition of this guitar as Wimpy from Talkbass offered himself to have a look at it before I send the money, but this serial number issue makes me think.

I think the price is more then reasonable for what I should get, but I don't want to own a stolen guitar.

I made a call to Warwick and asked if this is possible and the guy sad it is not likely but possible. The guitar could have left the factory in some irregular procedure (not illegal), and if the serial number was sanded there should be some marks - depending on finish of the guitar.

Do you have any theories? You think it might be possible the guitar didn't meet the quality test of Warwick so they "put it aside"?

You think I should go for it - I got really hot for this Warwick, but as I said; no stolen goods are allowed in my playroom :).

P.S. am still awaiting pictures of the back of the headstock from the seller.

Here are the images from eBay:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hi there did you check on top of the headstock ?
    I had a SS I, and I did'nt notice the serial number until after I'd had it a while.

Kristjan

3. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Its usually pressed in the back of the headstock, pretty hard to see, atleast on my dolphin.

4. ammar

ammar

Aug 20, 2005
    Austria
    Hi!
    The recent SSIIs should have the serial number on the back of the headstock (according to Warwich serviceman). Here is an example I found on the internet (recent SSII):

[​IMG]

I believe the seller had a good look.

5. ah, ok I did'nt realize it was new( I should make it a rule to read posts through). Mine was ofcourse a stage one and a 98 model and the serial was where the arrow points in the attached pic.

Attached Files:

6. ammar

ammar

Aug 20, 2005
    Austria
    I recieved some new pictures from the seller...
    There are no visible marks from sanding (might be Photoshop tools but I doubt it)

Attached Files:

7. ammar

ammar

Aug 20, 2005
    Austria
    some more...

Attached Files:

8. ammar

ammar

Aug 20, 2005
    Austria
    The seller has relisted the item again:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Warwick-Streamer-Stage-2-neck-through_W0QQitemZ7346952820

For any potential buyers - be aware!!! The item has no serial number and has probably be stolen from Warwick production and has therefore no sealed Warwick quality or instrument history.

He again mentioned nothing about lack of serial number or that the product has most probably be stolen.

I exchanged few mails with the seller - he bought it from a market in Germany so he actually has no idea on how old the instrument is or how often the instrument was played (initially claimed 5 times played).

Be aware of such frauds.