Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick wood problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BertBert, Feb 22, 2004.

1. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    There is a spot on my Warwick thumb bass where the wood is starting to fray a little. It's on the neck, on the right-hand side (i.e. close to the G string) around the 3d or 4th fret and right where the fretboard starts. The grain of the wood comes up to little "V"-shaped points all in that area and the tip of the "V" is becoming exposed and bits of the wood are separating from the neck. I have actually gotten a couple of splinters from playing in the past week! You can't tell by looking at the bass that there is a problem, and even if I take my finger along the edge of the neck it feels basically normal except that one spot feels a little rough. I certainly don't want to keep getting splinters in my left hand, and I want to prevent the bass from just disintegrating. Will waxing the bass with the carnuba wax help? Or is this a bigger problem?

2. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    When I was Warwick Distributor in my country I had many problem with Warwick neck especially with bolt on, either disintergrated , twist or bent which I believe had something to do with the choice of wood species and un finished open grain. We have Wet and dry season with different relative humidity.
    Warwick did not want to understand this neither replacing the neck nor taking further action to prevent those to happen with the following shipment , that is why I gave up.
    Now the new distributor has a similar problem, and in this country Warwick is notorious with the neck

3. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    If it's one of those basses with a wenge neck...you're basically screwed...

You can sand it down with 280 to 320 grit paper, and re oil...or you might want to think about having a heavy polyester finish put on.

Wenge is sort of like a porcupine...lots of tiny little shards of very hard wood and once it starts "shedding"...well you know EXACTLY what happens.

Good luck.

4. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You could put some super thin super glue (not any kind you get at the hardware store. Its junk. Go to a model store and get Jet or equiv) on there to stabilze the wood. If Warwick used a real finish you wouldn't have this problem.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  6. rockrollain

rockrollain

Feb 23, 2004
    Crofton MD
    I love the sound of my Warwick(rock bass). but the finish on the back of the neck is already starting to wear,I thought is was because of my playing so much, but now I'm thinking different...

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    i believe the original post is talking about a German warwick with a wenge neck, not a Rockbass with a maple neck

8. rockrollain

rockrollain

Feb 23, 2004
    Crofton MD
    Good but my neck is still wearing!! :meh:

9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's hard to tell what is actually going on with your neck without seeing it. It may be that the finish has work through or something innocuous that sanding and reapplynig oil will solve. Or filling with CA glue, sanding, and reapplying oil. It may also be a symptom of structural problem with the potential to get worse. If you know of a competent luthier/repair guy/gal, I would bring it to him for his/her opinion.

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Both my warwicks were bought new. I experienced rough spots on both. I asked the distributer at the national music show (exhibition type thingy) about it. He told me that this tends to happen in the first year..ish, as the wood is still being played in and settling. He advised me to use some wet n dry paper, or fine steel wool (sandpaper can be too coarse, and can make things worse), buff the spots out, and apply some oil.
    I haven't had any problems since, my thumb bass now has a super smooth, almost high gloss neck, and is incredibly fast, solely from this minor treatment, and plenty of palm sweat n grease.

11. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Well, I've been looking very closely at the neck and keeping all your advice in mind. The splintering seems to be localized just to the 3d-4th fret area -- it's not a widespread "shedding" as dave251 mentioned. So I'm thinking perhaps I whacked the neck against a music stand (I know I have done that once or twice, while wearing the bass and leaning over to make notes on sheet music) and that's what's causing it. At any rate I am going to put some of the carnuba wax over the top of the rough spot and take it in to the guitar shop where I got it soon to get their opinion. I'm keeping the super glue option in mind too, but I think I'd rather get the guitar shop's opinion first.