1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Jul 26, 2000.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, been thinking about getting a 6 string...anyone played any of the warwick bolt-on neck basses? Looking at a thumb bolt on...never played one though.

2. Hey Neptoon.. I had a Thumb bolt-on 6 for a few months, kinda bought it for the hell of it. It sounded good, but that neck is as wide as a freeway, and I have pretty big hands. I don't think it's a bad choice though.. the price isn't terribly steep and the bass was very nicely constructed. Good B string too.

3. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    neptoon,I have the bolt on 6, and i love it.
    they are available with a wide neck option, wich gives them a HUGE neck base. If your not used to that, I would go for the standard one. I have been nothing but happy with mine.
    I accually prefere the feel of a bolt on neck though. I find that they are well suited for percussive style playing and more precise techniques. Use the neck pick-up, and they will give you a great old school tone, or blend for a good mid-cut slap sound. Very well-built, versitile, atractive bass. (no i don't work for warwick) U can't go wrong with this one.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    right on, 6-stringer....I own a warwick neck thru thumb 4 string, so I know how you feel about your bass...... ;-) I love mine too. It just seems that a lot of ppl are playing at least a 5 string now. I thought mebbe it was time to get off my butt. So, ya think the thumb six is a good choice? I'm into the slap style too and I heard that warwick had come out with the wide neck version.....sounds good to me....long live warwick! (sorry)

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Hey, nothin' wrong with a four string. Yea, your gonna dig the thumb 6. Good hunting.
    PS. look @ www.basscentral.com for a deal.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    heheh....that's where I got my 4 from....I talked on the phone with Beaver for hours. I even had to send him some stuff from my ship (in the navy) a lot of cool guys there. That's prolly where I'll look for that 6....I saw the piccy.....mmmmm pretty...are they as heavy as the neck thru's? I dig the weight of them. It's like wearing a monster. Also, I wanted to ask if they have a bright tone up top. I had heard that they have a tight B as well...

7. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Mine is heavy. It gets heavier towards the end of a gig. I would guess somewhere over
    20 lbs+. It has excellent high end response,
    a tight B, And that nice warm tone your used to. It's still listed on bass central for some reason...? Beave hooked me up w/ that bass at 1/2 price, so i feel inclined to put a good word in when i can.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    6-stringer, if your bass is that heavy (20 lbs.) it should come with casters [​IMG]

9. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Well, it's a beast. I use the type of strap that cris-crosses in the back-sort of like a harness. That seems to help a lot with distributing the weight evenly. It's the heaviest bass I've played. When I first got it, my shoulders,and back would be sore for a day or so after a gig.I'm sure john T. can relate, his Dr. Sues (sp?) bass must be 50 lbs! I find that a very dense wood Like ovencal, will improve your sustain, and make your attack more articulate. So for now, I'll
    sacrifice my back for the tone I want.

10. According to Warwick's site the heaviest basses come in around 12-13 pounds :p (though it might feel like 20 by the end of the night).

I think JT's doubleneck weighs in at like 33 pounds.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    32! [​IMG]