Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, Jul 26, 2000.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, been thinking about getting a 6 string...anyone played any of the warwick bolt-on neck basses? Looking at a thumb bolt on...never played one though.

2. Hey Neptoon.. I had a Thumb bolt-on 6 for a few months, kinda bought it for the hell of it. It sounded good, but that neck is as wide as a freeway, and I have pretty big hands. I don't think it's a bad choice though.. the price isn't terribly steep and the bass was very nicely constructed. Good B string too.

3. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    neptoon,I have the bolt on 6, and i love it.
    they are available with a wide neck option, wich gives them a HUGE neck base. If your not used to that, I would go for the standard one. I have been nothing but happy with mine.
    I accually prefere the feel of a bolt on neck though. I find that they are well suited for percussive style playing and more precise techniques. Use the neck pick-up, and they will give you a great old school tone, or blend for a good mid-cut slap sound. Very well-built, versitile, atractive bass. (no i don't work for warwick) U can't go wrong with this one.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    right on, 6-stringer....I own a warwick neck thru thumb 4 string, so I know how you feel about your bass...... ;-) I love mine too. It just seems that a lot of ppl are playing at least a 5 string now. I thought mebbe it was time to get off my butt. So, ya think the thumb six is a good choice? I'm into the slap style too and I heard that warwick had come out with the wide neck version.....sounds good to me....long live warwick! (sorry)

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Hey, nothin' wrong with a four string. Yea, your gonna dig the thumb 6. Good hunting.
    PS. look @ www.basscentral.com for a deal.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    heheh....that's where I got my 4 from....I talked on the phone with Beaver for hours. I even had to send him some stuff from my ship (in the navy) a lot of cool guys there. That's prolly where I'll look for that 6....I saw the piccy.....mmmmm pretty...are they as heavy as the neck thru's? I dig the weight of them. It's like wearing a monster. Also, I wanted to ask if they have a bright tone up top. I had heard that they have a tight B as well...

7. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Mine is heavy. It gets heavier towards the end of a gig. I would guess somewhere over
    20 lbs+. It has excellent high end response,
    a tight B, And that nice warm tone your used to. It's still listed on bass central for some reason...? Beave hooked me up w/ that bass at 1/2 price, so i feel inclined to put a good word in when i can.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    6-stringer, if your bass is that heavy (20 lbs.) it should come with casters [​IMG]

9. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Well, it's a beast. I use the type of strap that cris-crosses in the back-sort of like a harness. That seems to help a lot with distributing the weight evenly. It's the heaviest bass I've played. When I first got it, my shoulders,and back would be sore for a day or so after a gig.I'm sure john T. can relate, his Dr. Sues (sp?) bass must be 50 lbs! I find that a very dense wood Like ovencal, will improve your sustain, and make your attack more articulate. So for now, I'll
    sacrifice my back for the tone I want.

10. According to Warwick's site the heaviest basses come in around 12-13 pounds :p (though it might feel like 20 by the end of the night).

I think JT's doubleneck weighs in at like 33 pounds.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    32! [​IMG]