Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jphase88, Mar 19, 2005.

1. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    I know i've been asking about basses. and well, today i went and tried out a Warwick Corvette. and i must say. It is the bass i want. It's gonna take me a while to get the cash but thats what im going to get. There is a question.

What is the diffrence between a Passive and Active Pickups? Which one would you prefer and do u think the active pickups are worht the extra $150 bucks?

2. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I had a Passive '95 Warwick Corvette and an Active '96 Warwick Corvette. I kept the active one for almost a year, using it as my main bass and it's the best bass I've ever played. I sold the passive one after a few weeks.

It's absolutely worth the extra for the active electronics in my opinion. I've had a lot of Warwicks, and the Corvettes are amazing. Great playability, tone, balance, and look. They're awesome.

I had EMGs in the active one. PM me if you'd like to hear some clips of it.

Jake

3. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    I have a Warwick err *COUGH* rockbass *COUGH* Corvette.

I feel like less of a man having to throw the Rockbass part in :(

4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Dude, no shame. If I had to choose between a Rockbass or a comparatively priced MIM Fender or something, you bet your ass I'd go for the Rockbass. They're definitely kick-ass basses in their price range. But for the price of a new Rockbass, you could get a German Warwick used. :)

Jake

5. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    Is there any diffrence between a Warwick Corvette 4 string and a Warwick Corvette 5 string?(besides the fact one has 4 strings and the other 5) any electronic diffrences?

6. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    That's an interesting question. Warwick offers both "active pickups" (which is not the same thing as "active preamp", though their "active pickups" only come with the "active preamp" setup), and "passive pickups". You can see this by looking at Warwick's terminology in their price list--there are "active-active" setups and "passsive-passive" setups, as well as "active-passive" setups (meaning active preamp/passive pickups) in their list.

I never bothered to ask what exactly this means before I custom-ordered my active-active Corvette Proline.

7. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    so which one exactly is better? or has more adjustable tone? :eyebrow:

8. I'm not 100% on this but I think you can tell which p/u's you've got by the colour of the MEC logo, silver is Passive, gold is Active!
    Don't know where I heard that though, its just a fact that has lived in my head for a loooong time, may not be applicable now though

Tony

9. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Better? Depends on your POV. Although all my basses are currently equipped with active preamps, at least my Warwick and my Fender have the ability to turn off the preamp, and I sometimes use this feature. It's nice to able to use the bass without a battery if you want!

On the other hand, the simplicity of the passive systems is a Good Thing, too. I've got plenty of tone shaping abilities in both my rigs, and I never play anything longer than a 20' cable, so that's not much of an issue for me, either.

More adjustable? Anything with an active preamp is generally going to be more "adjustable", but the preamps can add a lot of noise to your signal, as well.

10. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    I play for a church so i like smooth tones. would that require the active pick-up's or would the passive be fine?

11. then a warwick may not be your thing in that case , they have a very bright tone imo , and you'll have to get intimate with your amp to get a "smooth" tone , maybe a musicman or a jazz bass may suit your situation

12. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'd go for the active electronics. Warwicks have an easy-open control cavity so it's a cinch to change your 9-volt when it runs out of juice. Also, German Warwicks with active electronics have a passive bypass where you can pull on the volume knob to bypass the preamp in case the battery dies on a gig.

Active electronics typically means that the bass has an onboard preamp (with an EQ. Usually just bass and treble boost/cut, though some basses have a mid boost/cut) that is powered by a 9-volt battery (sometimes 18.) You can tell if the battery's running out of juice when the output goes down and the bass sounds distorted through the amp.

And if you're not averse to buying preowned, you can get preowned German Warwicks at nice prices. You see Thumbs on the 2ndhand market a lot because people initially fall in love with the tone, but then fall out of love with the heavy weight.

The only German Warwick bass I'm aware of that does not have active electronics (read: doesn't require a 9-volt battery) is the Corvette Standard 4-string (which can also be had with active electronics.) I prefer passive electronics myself since I'm a no muss-no fuss kind of guy and am not fond of fussing with batteries, but given the passive bypass on active Warwicks and the easy-open control cavity cover, it's no big deal. And you get some easy access tone shaping capabilities right on the bass, in case you can't get to your amp's EQ or something.

13. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    in that case, what kind of jazz bases would you recommend?

14. The Fortress Flashbacks are passive (I've got the 5 string version) and they also have nice shiny lipstick-tube pickups. Great retro look and sound. I get a lot of compliments on mine....I personally wanted a passive instrument, so this suited me well. And it came with a 2 Tek bridge!!

You don't see too many of them around, I think Warwick only made them for a couple of years. Every now and then a 4 string shows up on ebay, but mine's the only 5 string I've seen. The salesman claimed only 80 of the 5 strings were made, wish I knew for sure.

15. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Just put my newly arrived Buzzard through it's paces :hyper:

The craftsmanship of this instrument is amazing....the two-band preamp is very clean and transparent which I dig very much. Even though the MEC pickups are not very hot like pickups I am used to (will be changing them out soon) I still think that for the most part they complement the preamp very well...only reason I am gonna change them out is because of my desire to have a hotter/deeper signal that I know Duncans will give me.

I really do think that Warwick makes quality stuff...although the Buzz is the first Warwick I have actually owned...I've played quite a few of them in the store, both passive and active...I the electronics complement the basses quite well. I was even more amazed at how loud and nice the output was on a passive Corvette I played a few weeks back that had a J+J config.

16. if you want bang for your buck i'd go with a geddy lee ,

17. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    +1
    That and the Marcus Miller Jazz basses are awesome, in fact, they are the only fenders I actually liked playing...

18. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Oh, okay. I was more or less referring to currently available Warwicks rather than discontinued ones when mentioning the 100% passive bass in their stable.

19. Sorry, I almost always think "used" now...since I have a live-in girlfriend, I can't afford to think "new" anymore... :D

20. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like the look of wood on the guitar like warwicks. is there any bass that looks like that?