Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Waste, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Waste

Waste

Sep 16, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    So, I've got my eyes set on a Warwick Thumb bass. Can anyone give me opinions and specs on the Warwick products and more specifically on the Thumb model? I'm looking to upgrade to a pro level bass and this is the beast that caught my attention... so if anyone knows anything hit this back

www.wastegateband.com

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, I can at least help you with specs. Go HERE for the specs, and if you want more specific specs, open the pdf document on the same page.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    They are pretty nice basses. Were you thinking of the bolt-on or the neck-thru??
    One main thing to consider with them is the neck dive they are notorious for when strapped on, so make sure you try one out strapped on before buying it, to make sure that it is something you can live with. That is the only thing that kept me from buying one a couple of years ago. I loved the tone and playability.

4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I have a Thumb neck-through 4 string and I love it.
    It sounds great, plays great and looks killer. It is also very heavy but I feel this adds to the tone and punch of the bass. Like every body says, it does have a neck dive problem. I am adding an additional flush mounted strap lock about 3'' above the standard one on the back of the body to try to solve that. The new warwicks come with a graphite nut instead of a brass nut, I am having a brass nut installed on mine. I'm hoping these two modifications will make an already great bass even better. One more thing, the older Thumbs have necks made from Bubinga and Wenge. The newer ones are Bubinga and Ovangkol. I prefere the look of the Wenge because it is darker, the Ovangkol is smoother but has a greenish look to it. They are both great tone woods and I think they sound similar. Hope my opinions of this instrument help you out in some way.:D

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Use a good quality leather strap with it. The rougher texture will keep it in place more than a nylon strap. Tone is unbelievable! I put a hipshot de-tuner on mine also. Mine is the bolt-on model. I would have preferred to have gotten a through neck model, but at only $650 brand new.... well, I couldn't pass it up!

:)

Go get one...

6. I don't have a thumb but I have the 1989 Dolphin Pro 1, older warwicks are excellent, I don't really like the new ones for some reason.

7. where did you get it for $650 prog?

8. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    what is a neck dive?

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Readers Digest Version is the stuff in bold. Otherwise it makes a fairly humorous story.

You've just finished a set. Your tired. Your thirsty. The cocktail waitress comes by, winks at you and offers you whatever you're drinking, her treat. She holds out the glass. You reach for it with your left hand. Your bass makes like a pendulum as the headstock accelarates toward the floor. Since you've taken your fretting hand off the bass, you are no longer supporting its weight. The neck is heavier than the body, so it dives towards the floor as if it has a mind of it's own.

(Now back to our story)

You reach for the bass so that it doesn't hit the floor. After all, you've got a lot invested here. The drink crashes to the floor, shattering the glass and drenching the waitress' leg. You've blown your chance with the waitress (who happens to be a hottie) but you save your bass, and you absolutely jam throughout the second set. All in all, a pretty decent gig.

Happened to a friend of mine.

Peace,

James

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    A situation where I cashed in (literally) on a favor!! All I can say!

:)

11. Waste

Waste

Sep 16, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    so I love the Warwick's tone and playability...is there anyway to correct it? like one guy was saying, relocating the strap holder to another location?

12. schmidtt

schmidtt

Jan 9, 2001
    Not to change the subject too much, but does anyone have a Corvette? Like/dislike?

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    A couple of my basses are neck heavy and one is just plain heavy. The way I deal with it is to use a 3" wide leather strap with fleece on the underside. This keeps the strap from moving around.

With this arrangement I can play a 13 pound plus bass for more than 2 hours without slippage or fatigue.

Peace,

James

14. hammong

hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    The more strings, the heavier the neck too. My Thumb bolt-on 5 string is a tad neck-heavy, but as mentioned previously, a wide no-slip strap will keep it where you want it.

I'm really happy with mine! The weight is substantial - most people that pick mine up say, "Gawd this thing is heavy!"

Greg

15. I love the look of the thumb basses. They just look soooooo great when you wear them but i hated the feel of the neck and wasnt too impressed with the overall tone. oh well... looks like its back to stingray dreams again.

16. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Dr. Funk: Hey, that relocation of the strap button would seem to help quite a bit, but it is only a minor adjustment. Hipshot-Ultralites and that should make the bass very very comfortable to play. Oh, and my advice would be to take the bass to a pro to do the work. I spent about 2 days trying to get mine correct after I drilled a bit wrong.
    Oh, and I love the bass. I have a Thumb NT 5 and wouldn't trade it for too many others ;) Anyways, just my 2 dimes. Later, Ryan

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Ryan,
    As you suggested, I took my Thumb to a pro for the modifications. When I get it back I'll let you know if the strap lock move made any difference.
    I will also consider the light weight tuners.

Thanks!

18. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    I have 4 an 5 srting thumb bolt-ons, my 2nd and 3rd basses, sohappy with the 4 i bought the 5 within a year, i have no regrets.

19. I played a bolt-on thumb this weekend at GC. It felt good, was well constructed, and had a great sound. The sound may or may not be your style so you definitely want to try one out. For the short time I played it I found that the tone was a bit limited but this may not be a problem if it is what you like. It was very aggresive sounding....had a mean growl to it! The heavy woods gave it a nice soild feel and a unique sound. I wouldn't mind owning one some day.