Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WARWICKS 4-STRING CORVETTE STANDARD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THUMPER73533, Mar 13, 2006.

1. THUMPER73533

THUMPER73533

Feb 23, 2006
    ANY ONE OWN ONE OF THESE BASSES? LIKES OR DISLIKES?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fine basses for sure, lots of people think warwick's necks are too fat but they arent terrible, especially if you are into that kind of thing.

3. i am the proud owner of one and i love it! it suits me perfectly

4. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    Awesome bass. Never had any mechanical trouble with it. The tone is big and growly. The neck is perfect, I have small hands and the neck does not inhibit the playability at all.

5. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    I have one and it's my only bass now. No problems. I even like waxing it too.:)

6. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    I have a 5 string corvette standard and love it. My only complaint is the screws on the pickups come loose sometimes. Going to put some EMG J pickups in it soon.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I have always been a fan of the warwick corvette. Fretted and fretless, it sounds so good to me... But I can't help but think in the back of my head that warwick just makes ugly basses.... I think the corvette is the best looking one, personally, but still kind of ugly...

8. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I have a '97 Warwick Corvette Standard (pre-cnc) and it's beautiful. Bubinga body, Weng neck and fret board, brass adjust-a-nut... passive and it's quite amazing. I love the tone, full of punch and that signature Warwick growl.

The neck is a D shape... round thick back with a flat radius on the fret board... some don't seem to like it but I find mine to be thinner then most Jazz or P necks.

Vette's tend to be quite heavy, I'm 6'5 and 245lbs and have no problem playing a long set or two with it strapped on, but some find them to be quite bothersome.

Depending on what kind of Vette you have it may or may not be a problem... but neck dive seems to be a big issue (mostly in the thumb models I've tried but some Vettes fall subject to this). I find it's easily remedied by where you wear the bass... higher up seems best.

The build quality is nothing short of superb... granted mine is a pre-cnc model, I've tried the newer ones and see no decline in quality.

My vette seems to have a problem with the jack... I've swapped it out twice now because it becomes scratchy while I move around. Nothing to bad though, and an easy fix.

I really can't find anything wrong with mine persay because you really have to try an instrament out before you buy to see how it interacts with your style of playing, how you wear it so on and so forth.

Give one a try, I'm sure you'll like it... or hate it. That's what seems to be the general consensus... people either swear by them or wish the never existed.

Hope I added some light

Peace
    -Benny

9. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    great basses with great sound hadone for 6 years onlytraded it to get a new Custom Fender.

10. THUMPER73533

THUMPER73533

Feb 23, 2006
    thanks for all the feedback. expecting one in this wednesday. ps. any trouble with the adjustable nut on the newer ones?

11. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I have one and it's a great bass; the adjustment nut isn't great, but it should work. If you want you can always ask Warwick to sell you one of the old Brass Adjust-A-Nuts.
    -Alex

12. I have one myself! One day while putting new strings on it, the adjust-a-nut broke. The keeper on the side broke off. I personally think it should be made a little better. I had it replaced with a non-adjustable graphite nut at my local luthier and no more problems.

13. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've had a Corvette Standard 5 for about 5 years. It has a distinctive sound that I haven't been able to get on my Spector or Fenders. For hard or alternative rock, it just sits in the mix so well and I can vouch for the fact that it does get heavy. I set the adjustable nut once and never touched it again. Build quality is superb. It feels so solid when you pick it up and play it.

View attachment 31195
    Randy

14. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal
    I have a corvette double buck. The absolute perfect bass for me. I absolutley LOVE the neck. It fits my hand like a GLOVE. LOVE IT!! :bassist: