1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick's Adjust-a-nut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Al Heeley, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Seems such a great idea it's one of those things you can't believe it wasn't thought of years ago (err, maybe it was...) but to have a nut readily adjustable with a couple of allen-key grub screws to optimise action and enable string gauges to be changed sounds so great I'd want it in every bass :hyper:
    # Are there any drawbacks to this system?
    # Can they be purchased separately and retro-fitted to a different guitar? -how about string spacing?
    As these are patented, would the nut police throw me in jail if I got my talented metal working buddy to make me a similar device for my next home-build?

2. what I wanna know is WHERE can you buy one???? I'm with you on this one...I love this system.

3. Google is your friend:
    Warwick Justanuts

Looks to me like they come in just the Warwick string spacing.

4. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Im with you, its a great idea. I been trying to come up with my own design to do the same thing. Mostly just for my fretless basses. :)

5. [​IMG]
    I need to think about some design being able to slide to allow different string spacings. Hmmm....

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
  7. Google is your friend! Heeh:
    The Vegetarian Society - Christmas 2007 - not just a nut roast
    Serves 4. This can be made 2 or 3 days before you want to eat it. Ingredients:. 1 medium onion, very finely chopped ... ;D
    -thx for the link, darkstrike! I'm definitely going to try one of these in my next build.

8. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    I heard the justanut II's are prone to breaking. Apparently the justanut III gets rid of the tabs on the side making it a bit sturdier.

9. yeah, I dig the original version better. I hate this plastic crap.

10. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    Actually, I have a question of my own ( not to hijack the OP's thread). I have a 2000 Warwick thumb coming to me, what nut will it have (crossing my fingers that its not the "bustanut II")?

11. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I think anything after 1998 has the just a nut II. I believe if you call Dana B Goods you can order the original brass just a nut I.

12. At 30 Euro ($46.00 US) to ship to the USA for a part that cost 9.90 Euro ($15.18 US), That Jacks the price of these things a little huh?

13. Thats a bit of a shock for US buyers - thats how it is for 90% of guitar parts for us in Europe having to buy out of the States :(

14. I see Warwick have the Just-A-Nut III on sale on their website.
    http://shop.warwick.de/product_info.php/info/p287_Just-A-Nut-III-4-string-set.html
    €8.00+ 20c for the 44mm is very reasonable.
    Warwick certainly have a solid reputation for quality and performance.
    But I would be concerned how well a resin/composite nut performs when it relies on point-loading of 2 grub-screws under considerable force from a set of bass strings - can it transmit vibrations into the neck as well as a solid nut?
    Does it perform as an essential anchor/pivot for the strings as well as a solid nut.
    The answer may be 'probably not, but good enough' considering you get the added bonus of tweaking the string height and gauges freely without having to recut/replace a solid conventional nut each time.

15. My feeling is that any nut perched on 2 screws won't be an improvement in tone over a glued-in nut.

Not only that....if these are solely for the ability to change string gauges, then you also have nut slots that don't quite fit the string as well as a dedicated nut.

This is why I am increasingly drawn to the idea of zero frets. Change string gauges all you like, you never have to adjust the height or slot width of the "nut" because all it does is function as a string retainer.

16. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I have played several Warwick basses, and I prefer the original "Just-A-Nut"...

They looked *very* similar to these (formerly sold by Rockinger, but they aren't listed on the site anymore... wonder if Warwick sued them or something?):

As an aside, that wouldn't be that difficult to make... just brass machine screws and a brass nut... drill and tap it for the threads, widen/round off the scewdriver slots in the screws, and there you go.

Alembic makes their own adjustable string nuts:

[​IMG]

17. Yeah, I'm sending my Warwick to the shop to have a brass nut made for it. The just-a-nut II it came with is already broken :(

18. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    As an update, it looks like you can buy these brass adjustable nuts here:

http://wb-inc.net/brassrollerextension.html

They only have them for 4-string bass, mind you, so you might be better buying a brass nut, cutting the slots for your particular application, and then tapping it for two or three allen-adjustable set screws (grub screws?) for height adjustment.