Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwicks and Primus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steven1k5, May 28, 2003.

1. Steven1k5

Steven1k5 Guest

May 28, 2003
    long beach, CA
    Hey wuts up, i was wondering, i have a passive warwick corevet standered and i was thinking about putting active EMG jazz pickups with emg eq. Im thinking about running it through a nice SWR setup and wondering if it will sounds like les of Primus, and other slap bass masters, etc. just seeing if the emg's where a good move on the passive warwick. Thanks.

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Well since nobody else has said it yet, here we go. The EMG's will probably add some nice color to your sound, but its your technique that denotes weather or not you're going to sound like les claypool or other bass greats. Besides, it's more fun finding your own sound.

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm,, that'll probably be a great slap sound, but I doubt it'll sound much like Les. You need to whack a fretless thru 15" speakers for his kinda tone. ;)

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    It's not the bass that gives Les his sound, it's Les! I tried many things to try and get his sound, and although I came close, I still can't play like Les. Just my thoughts on this though, I think you can get a great sound out of a Warwick though, especially with the EMG's.

5. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    you might wanna try and get your own tone, if another person excatly like les claypool came along,do you think anyone would aprecciate him as much?
    anyways... i think w/ the EMGs you could get a good slap sound, but i personally don't like EMGs unless they are on a fretless.

But i guess Vic Wooten uses EMGs :meh: