Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WARWICKS and ROCKBASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jordane818, Aug 31, 2005.

1. jordane818

jordane818

Jan 17, 2005
    hey i know that rockbass is a low end line of warwick, but ive played a rockbass corvette 5 string and it sounded pretty damn nice! im curious as to the major differences between a regular warwick and the rockbass, and if the rockbass is even worth purchasing! the warwicks sure are up there in price, and rockbass isnt soo bad. just curious about the differences, and details. thanx

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The differences:
    cheaper traditional woods (alder body, maple neck) vs exotic woods (ash or bubinga body on Corvette, ovangkol neck)
    mass-produced (cnc) in China and assembled in China vs cnc-d in Germany and assembled and checked in Germany
    different bridge
    no oil finish
    about that's it. The electronics are the same, though, on the active versions.
    Some say that the Rockbass Corvettes are more comfortable: they have lighter bodies and more rounded necks; however, they have less of that signature W growl.
    If you can find it for a good price, if it is comfortable to you, if you like it's tone and if it is well constructed (no flaws), then it's worth it. Just don't forget that you can find good deals on used MIG Warwicks, as well

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, everyone has his own preferences, but personally I did not find the Rockbass to sound that good. And as Frank stated, they are very different from the "real" Warwick.

I had a Rockbass for one month, I had got it used almost blindfold (since tried in the shop through a really tiny and basic bass amp). And very soon I discovered the tone was pretty thin, and had nothing of that famous Warwick growl (though my Rockbass was active too). One month later, I sold it. Fortunately I lost no money on resale.

The bridge on the Rockbass is a piece of crap IMO. The neck seems pretty stable and the bass by itself feels pretty solid, but the bridge made things very hard to me when I was about to adjust the setup. Probably a defective screw on the bridge, but due to what ? Very strange on a one-year old that was almost unused, in "as mint" condition and thus flawless. Things would certainly have been much easier if the Rockbass had a just-a-nut, but here's another difference with the "real" Warwick : the Rockbass does not have this useful feature.

My not-that-good opinion of Rockbass did not change the pretty good opinion I have about "real" Warwick basses, though.

Jordane, do what you want, but if I were you, but based on my own experience, I'd try to save a few more bucks and get in search of a used "real" Corvette.

Hope this helps,
    Jay

4. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I'm a Rockbass owner, but I've played several real Warwicks. I think it comes down to if you can afford a real Warwick then go for it, but if you're on a budget then the Rockbass will do fine.

5. jordane818

jordane818

Jan 17, 2005
    thanx...that info really helped a lot...i really dont wanna have to deal with little knicks and poorer (but not saying its very poor) contruction and then having to go back to it later on and spend money on repairs and such...ive decided to save up for that warwick...haha anyone know of any places for used (but not soo bad) warwick corvette 5 stringers? or how about a quick buck scheme? lol any suggestions please

6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
  7. If you're gonna look through BC's inventory, take it from me, and e-mail of call Beaver to see exactly what they have in stock. BC doesn't update their site too often, so stuff that gets sold often stays on the sight for a month of two after it has left the shop. Beaver says he does this to give the potential customer an idea of what they generally have in stock, so don't go by what's on their site.

Oh, and good luck on getting your 'Vette, I hope you find one, I've been dying to own one for a long time, but just can't come up with the money, even to buy one used. Frycooks don't make too much where I live, and having a girlfriend live 20 miles away doesn't help my gas budget either. :rollno: Oh well, you do what you do, say what you say...

~Ryan

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Actually they are not that badly built. The ones I've seen were no worse in construction than the Fenders, Ibanezes and Yamaha's of their price range.

9. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    Hey all,

I just picked up a Rockbass corvette classic fretless over at G.C. They had to order it in, I guess they don't stock the Rockbass stuff or much warwick stuff period.

Well anyhoo, I think for the $400.00 bucks I paid for it, it is really sweet. Brand new in the box, classic has the sunburst maple top.

It's extremely lite and very small almost feels like a childs guitar or junior instrument. The sound however is all triple-x adult rated and much more expensive sounding. I like the fact that the actives really do lots and the adjustability is very wide. The pickups have nice punch and the tone controls are layed out nicely.

The neck is nice and it plays well out of the box. I'm not sure if there is much to complain about for $400 bucks. I have read so much critism about the woods, the bridge and the japanese build, honestly I don't see or hear what the whining is about.

I recommend this bass if your on a budget, it sounds great, it's comfortable and it won't kill your wallet.

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, me too.

Nice find, enjoy it! :cool:

11. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I agree. I own both a Rockbass Corvette and a German made Corvette (passive). The Warwick growl is great, but not a particularly versatile sound. If you always want that growl, then the big bucks are worth it. The Rockbass is made in China under Warwick surervision. The "cheap" woods that were mentioned above are the same woods that basses have been made out of since forever. It is a very good bass for the money. Also, take seriously the problem with the German Warwicks in exotic woods: they are VERY heavy. Unless you are a very large male, you will probably find that gigging with one wears you out. Many people have complained about this (use the serach for details).
    Good luck!!