1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwicks and Spectors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Apr 11, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Ive just been looking at spector basses, and ive noticed that some of them have very similar body shapes to certain warwicks

Ive read somewhere that spector bodies were designed by ned steinberger or someone, are warwicks the same?
    for example this:
    [​IMG]

AND
    this:

[​IMG]

2. Do a search about it- there was a big battle over liscencing fees, design similarities, etc.

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Warwick licensed the body from Spector for a number of years. When Kramer bought Spector and then went BK Kramer owned the rights.

But, Warwick changed the body a bit and went forward. When Stuart started making basses under SSD, and later when he got his name back from Kramer, he tried to make Warwick start paying him again.

By this time the body had changed enough and Warwick said no way. There is a huge rift between the two companies over more than this body shape.

When I jumped ship from Spector to go to Warwick my rep at Spector told me he would not tell Stuart who I went to and they took my picture and info off the Spector website within an hour. LOL

Lots of bad blood between Hans and Stuart.

For what it is worth, as I use neither of them anymore (shhh Sadowsky!!!), the Warwicks are far better built IMHO and at a better price point. I also think they sound better. AND, Spector overcharges for what they offer including a $900 list price upcharge if you want a high gloss finish though their finish work whether it is stain or high gloss costs them the same amount (about $300).

Hope this helps.

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Sorry pal, but you have that observation backwards. The Spector NS bodystyle (yes, Ned Steinberger) came out way back in 1976.