Warwick's and the new MM's.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by popinfresh, Jun 22, 2005.

1. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'd hate to make a 'what bass' thread, but this kind of is one.

I love the Warwick tone, expecially Alex Katunich's tone. It's got the growl, and cutting/crisp top end. I may be looking at selling my Sterling in the future, but one problem kind of exists.

Whenever i've tried out warwicks, i've never been a big fan of the feel, unless it's a rockbass. But i've only tried standard corvettes (4 and 5) and a thumb (5 and 6).

How different is the feel of a Streamer Stage II compared to a Corvette or Thumb? Talking about necks here, btw. I want a smooth, fast neck, much like the Sterling. The problem been is that i'm never gonna get a chance to play a Stage II over here. And i'll most likely be getting one used from the USA.

The other two Warwicks that have caught my eye are the two LTD Corvette's from 02 and 04. What's the sound of these like? I'm looking for growl when digging in/fingerstyle, with pretty big low end and nice crisp top end. Would any of these fit the bill? I love the tone of the Stage II, are they similar in sound at all, or has anyone got any sound clips? I realise i'd have to look pretty hard to find one used as well (though i've never seen a used '04 up).

My other choice is a MM Sterling/Stingray HH 5 when they come out. Looks like an interesting bass, and I know I like the feel, but I don't know if it will have the growl i'm after.

What do you guys think? I'll be going a 5'er most likely, unless an LTD popped up used and it was a 4 banger (Or do they go more often than I think?).

EDIT: One thing, what would I be looking at for all three of those Warwick's used? (Roughly)
  2. hey bro, check out Billy Hydes in flemington, last time I was in there, they had a Stage 11, and it was a dream to play, got that Dirk tone right out of it!! I've just about paid off my new Corvette Standard 5, which i was able to find a pretty similar tone with, and its a lot cheaper!!

Nice to see another Dirk and Warwick fan in Melb!!
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Really? Hmmm, i've never been out that way. How long ago was this?

Where is Flemington exactly? lol. Can I get there by Pub transport? I may head out there on the weekend. Was it 4 or 5? And do you remember the retail on it? I've never seen a stg II over here..

Edit: How similar was the feel to the Corvette? For some reason I remember the feel of the fingerboard been quite different, and having to push down pretty hard.. Maybe a bad setup?

BIG Dirk/Alex fan too.. I want to know where he is though. Stickman seems to have died...

4. flemington is just nth/east of city, near carlton, there is public transport reasonably close if i recall. This was bout 2 months ago...i'm guessin its not going running out the door, it was about $5,700 if i recall.....too expensive if u ask me, i didn't think it was worth nearly 3 times the corvette I'm getting....not even worth double. Sure, its a nice bass, but some of the cheaper Warwick i think are just as nice...

and yes it was a 5...
  5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Cool, I should be able to get out there.

Yeah, if I get one, i'll be importing a used one from the US. I'll ring em tomorow and see if it's there. I'll go past blackburn and see if they have any standard streamers as well to try out.

6. blackburn have got a cool streamer stage 1 6 string!! apart from that, i think they have a Streamer LX 5string....

and yeh i found the streamer neck to be similar to the corvette, although the streamer was abit smoother, and of course had a better neck to body joint...i didn't however find the corvette neck clunky like some ppl suggest.

Since i've shopped around a bit for my Corvette, I've got a good idea of most of the warwicks in melb atm! There should still be a 4 string corvette with the swirly bubinga top (ltd 2002) i think....

Still to try out a double buck, they look sweet....

and yeah i wish Dirk would get back to playing bass!!
  7. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Out of ALL the Warwicks, i always tried the Corvettes and could NEVER enjoy them. Maybe because they sat around all the local stores for years without adjustments or being set up... I altually remember playing a Corvette that felt like the neck was sunken in the middle and felt exactly opposite to all other necks...

P-Nut from the band 311 uses a Streamer Stage 2 also...

They run like $2500 for a 5 string but are well worth it. I could NEVER find them at stores because of the price but I guess that they are HEAVY so like all warwicks, get a good strap.

Look into the Thumb and Infinity basses by warwick...

As far as necks, I think EVERY warwick neck is made THICK!
    That may be why they have their "sound" that everyone loves. Lots of wood so it will be hard to find a slimmer neck. The bass is very neck heavy...

Those big necks will make your Ibanez or Fender play like a child's toy after geting used to them though...
  8. Chiba

Mar 11, 2005
    If this is an issue for you, look at older ('92-95) Thumb Bolt-On basses - the all-wenge necks on the ones I've played (and the '93 I own) are thinner than you could possibly believe.

9. About the only difference between a Stg. II and a Stnd. 'Vette I can think of are probably the body woods. The Corvette is Bubing, and I think the Stg. II is Carolena???

Well, I'm not sure, and am off to my girl's house in about 5 minutes, so Im going to just be lazy and leave you a link... www.warwickbass.com Go there, and compare the woods used in the basses your interested in. Make sure to note the electrionics too. I think the Stg. II and 'Vette even share the same MEC jazz p'ups and MEC electronics too. Make sure to do all the research you can, then go play the narrowed field and find what you like,

10. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wheres the 4 string LTD at? Flemington??

I like the sound of Thumbs too, so they're still an option.

I will definently be trying to find an older model, if possible, for the thiner neck. What year was it that they changed neck woods?

Thanks for the help so far.
  11. I believe in 1998 Warwick made the change over to Ovangkol from Wenge to keep the cost down. I have always heard that the Wenge/Wenge necks sound nastier than the Ovangkol/Wenge necks, thus making them more sought after and often more expensive.

Im my experiences, the Ovangkol/Wenge neck sounds fine, but I've never played a Wenge/Wenge, so... yeah.

Trying to help, hopefully I'm right this time...
  12. nah i think the ltd was at music boutique in balwyn actually....
    also the red corvette at Billy Hydes Blackburn plays like a pig, avoid it!! email me if u want more details, people might be getting sick of the melbourne chat!!
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Pm sent :)

Looks like i'll have to go hunting next week...
  14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    next time, before you post, check that what you write is true.

Corvette - Stage II
    bubinga - afzelia, a not-too-common and extremely hard African wood
    bolt-on - neckthrough
    2-band - 3-band electronics
    flat body - contoured back
    W's cheapest - W's top-of-the-line bass, still handmade