Warwicks and "Vintage" Style Rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Jul 18, 2005.

1. I see a lot of Warwicks used with "Modern" sounding rigs like SWR for a clear, more defined sound, but all the SWR rigs I've tried are really not for me. I've recently discovered a love of 2x15's and very warm sounding amps, and was wondering how Warwicks would mix with those type of amps. If you've you've used a setup like that, tell me about it. Bass, head, cab, sound!

P.S. Yes I know who Dirk Lance is.

Thanks a lot guys.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've never played a Warwick through a 2x15 or SWR set-up, but I test drove a Thumb 4 BO through my Ampeg SVT3-Pro and Avatar 2x12".

It was my uncle's bass, and he'd modded it with some Dimarzio Ultra Jazz PU's, straight passive. It sounded excellent. I have a very midrange and bass heavy setting on the amp, lots of balls with just enough clarity to keep my B unmuddy, and that bass just rocked.

I'd say to try it for yourself, I can't imagine a Warwick sounding bad through any type of 'vintage' rig.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

4. Sweet guys, thanks a lot.

Which Streamer was that Fuzzbass, and what head was it running through?

Don't even do that to me Fuzzbass, I've already been tempted by the NV215 enough. I think with my love of 15's, a meeting between me and the NV215 somewhere down the line is inevitable.

Come on guys, anyone else?
  5. Warwick Corvette Standard Passive 4 string (tuned BEAD)

• sounded excellent with my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro through two Peavey 410TVX cabinets. LOADS of low end thanks to the low B. I mean, that low B has sooooooo much grunt, it's almost unbelievable. I think it's thanks to the passive MEC single coils. Nice combination.

• sounds even beter through my new Trace Elliot V8 all tube amp. Same kinda grunt, but more clarity and more punch. Better overal sound thanks to the powertubes. Cuts through the mix like a knife through butter. Really excellent combo.

Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman LTD 2002 (62/200) For sale btw...

• sounds very awesome with the V8/ 2x 410TVX combination. Similar grunt as the passive corvette. BUT, more MORE punch. Incredible punch and cut thanks to the very powerful bridge humbucker. The highs cut through the mix a little better thank to the active preamp in this bass. I like the sound.

Amp settings
    Loads of bass, loads of mids, flat treble. Loads of gain... cuts through two loud guitar halfstacks like hell. I like these settings. Although scooped mids sound very beautiful when solooed, it will never work in loud (rock) band.

I'm a fan of overdriven tube sounds. My main sound is always overdriven; sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. This one of the reasons I love Ampeg/Trace Elliot. I played a SWR 350x once and although it sounded sweet and clean (and not to forget very warm and articulate) it didn't do the trick for me. I missed grit and durtiness.
    I play in a stoner/metal (think: Kyuss) band and clean bass doesn't do it for me. Hopefully this helps you out.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I had a Streamer Stage I 5, but I think I would've been as happy with the tone of most other Warwicks.