Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WARWICK'S ANYONE???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groove, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Groove

Groove

Jan 13, 2001
    I'm building a custom 4str. for a customer of our's and I'm trying to gather a little info on the "Warwick Sound of Wood" or whatever. Among the Warwick players out there what is the general thought to what makes the Warwick's have that low-mid growl? Is it the body woods, neck woods or pick-ups? Also I notice Warwick installs MEC pickups and either MEC or Basslines electronics. Any thoughts on the MEC's? Thanks for any help.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Wenge/Ovangkol neck is the trademark of Warwick.

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    As is the case with any instrument,it's a little of all the items you mentioned,but some weigh in for more than others,I think.I feel it's not only the neck woods,but the "D" shape of the neck,there's more wood on the outside part of the neck under the 1st and 5th strings than on most instruments.I also feel that the steep angle of the strings over the bridge before their attachment to the body is a factor.And let's not forget those frets,bronze or brass or whatever they are,they definitely contribute to the harmonic overtones of a Warwick.I was just playing mine a while ago,and it's so easy to get real chimey harmonics on it,even with dead strings.

4. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Ifabara, I beg to differ. Ovankol is a more recent addition to Warwick since wenge is so scare. Most owners and Dana B. Goods prefer the wenge necks. All the older Warwicks had these types of necks. I think the sound is a combination of things, the dense woods used, pickups and electronics.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes indeed. The Ovangkol wood is a replacement for the scarce Wenge due to African problems, but you should know that they are almost the same, the grain differs a little bit (its more closed) and that Ovangkol is part of the family of the Wenge.

Anyway.. It was just my opinion about whats different in a Warwick.
    In fact a Streamer is just a Spector with a Wenge Neck and Fretboard.

6. Groove

Groove

Jan 13, 2001
    I figured that the wenge neck/fingerboard played alot into the sound of the "Sound of Wood." I actually picked up a Cort Artisian 5strg. fretless this summer because of it's great tones on the neck (wenge neck.) Ifabara... when your talking about the neck size, do you mean it's clubier than most necks or that it's just shaped differently. (Keep in mind I live on the tri-state boarder of Iowa, Nebraska & South Dakota so as you can imagine there's no Dana dealer around for hours!) Thanks for the responses

7. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I think the type of wood, the pickups, the bridge, and the overall quality all probably add to the distinct Warwick sound.

I have a Fortress One that was pre-MEC pickups (or perhaps someone changed the original MEC's to the Duncan's with the little switches on top, but after a lot of emails back and worth with the Warwick people, I (we) came to the conclusion that it probably was original.) It sounded great, but I wanted to total Warwick sound and upgraded all the electronics to the current MEC P-J pickups and preamp and it sounds even betterj!!! I have a Fortress Masterman, with the MEC "Double J" and it sounds totally different, but just as unique and just as good (a bit more modern, maybe.) I have a Fortress Flashback, with the MEC passive lipsticks, which has a totally different sound from the other two, and different from any other bass I can think of...the sound maybe somewhat simular to Danelectro lipsticks, but much, much fuller. And I have a passive Corvette, with the MEC "dynamic correction" J-J pickups...at bit like a J-Bass, but there is something in the sound that sings in a different manner. All of these have the standard Warwick two part bridge and the Wenge necks. All sound different from any other basses that I have heard (other then other Warwicks) and therefore, I think all of the aforementioned items, pickups, wood and brige must play a part in the Warwick sound.

As I write this, I am waitng for my Fortress One 5 string to arrive. I compared a Warwick 5 to a Musicman 5 a couple of weeks ago and though the Warwick blew the Musicman away. It could easily make every sound the Musicman made, plus many more and played much better (and they were both set up quite well.)

I recently saw on Warwick's web page that the Fortress model has been discontinued. I guess it's shape, which is also something I reallly like about it, was a little to radical for many.

Steve