1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwicks: FNA Jazzman VS FNA Jazzman LTD'04

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blacksheep, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    I adore the Jazzman pre amp. But I now have an oppourtunity to purchase a Jazzman LTD 2004, which has the infinity pre-amp and pickups. I love the look of the LTD a little more than an FNA Jazzman, but would it give the same sound?

What kind of sound would an Infinity pre amp give?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got a FNA Jazzman LTD 2004 and I don't like it. It's pretty but it's tone sucks.

3. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    Could you elaborate on how the tone sucks?

4. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I had an FNA 2004 LTD 5 string, put TI SuperAlloy strings on it, and LOVED the tone.

The only thing I had trouble with was the 16.5mm string spacing on the fiver. I find 17mm to be a bit tight, but tolerable, but that 16.5 spacing was just too tight for me.

You can play it in passive or active, it has a mid-sweep with two selectable center frequencies, and you can split the bridge for a J-J pup config, as well as the MM-J type config. I really liked mine other than the string spacing.

5. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    How would you compare it to a standard Corvette FNA Jazzman, or Streamer Jazzman?

I have played a Streamer Jazzman, and it was the best bass I have ever played, and fit me perfectly. The only problem was it's near $3000 price tag. And I do like the Corvette body shape more.

6. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    those ltd's were gorgeous! i didnt like how the ones i tried played though....those warwick necks.

7. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    Do they have the lively tone of the standard Jazzman pickups and pre?

8. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I think the tone, at least from mine, is flat and lifeless. Also, the tone controls do nothing through most of their sweep, but then go from nothing to everything at the very end, rendering them useless in a live situation. They are all or nothing.

9. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Sorry, but it has been so long since I played a standard Jazzman that I just can't give you a comparison. I have never played a Streamer Jazzman.

I did not have the same problem with the tone controls as main-sale did with his. I found the tonal pallette to be quite broad. I really liked the growl that bass had. The B wasn't the tightest I have ever played, but it sounded really good to me.

10. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    Was the tone more modern or vintage sounding? Say 60's Jazz bass or Alembic with 5 billion pre controls?

11. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I've never played the LTD '04.
    But I know that the FNA Jazzman is the only Warwick I've ever liked, ever.

12. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    Bump

13. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    I cant buy it without opinions....

14. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    play it... what aboutyour own opinion? It's the one that counts the most!

15. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Never tried the 04 LTD, but I did have the FNA LTD 2002. I didn't like the sound of it at all. I couldn't smooth out the sound if my life depended on it. It did look very pretty though. I ended up selling it.

16. jdupell

jdupell

Dec 12, 2006
    Ft Lauderdale
    I have a LTD 04. I took the neck pickup out and put in a bart and a NBT preamp. The tone was not great for me. Im looking for a quantum 4 now :bassist:

17. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I used to own one of those, and sold it because there was just something not right about the tone. The set-back in those LTDs is the pre-amp for sure. That's why I put Aguilar pre-amps in BOTH of my LTD Warwicks and they came alive! I loved everything else about it, and wish I would have kept it now that I've heard/played the MEC/Aggie combo. Good luck!

18. I tried a 4 string 04 LTD a year or two back and it was the best sounding bass I had ever played up until that point... I couldn't say that I would have the same opinion now, but I do own a streamer Jazzman...

The passive MM open pole pickups are very lively (like a Stingray), but they tend to lack a little in the real bottom end where my thumb shines - full and punchy. The jazzman is great for slapping, but I just prefer the added tonal spectrum that active pickups have...

I think the active elecronics in the LTD would maybe be a better match to my taste