Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwicks... great basses, or overpriced wannabes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 24, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i see that many guys here use warwick, and then again many bash them. what's your SUBJECTIVE take on them. and don't make this a bashfest. make it honest opinions, especially regarding essentials (sound, playability... not aesthetics as much).

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I bought 3. I wouldn't have if they were overpriced wanna be's. Basses are subjective just like amps. Ampeg sells a lot of great amps, but they get beat up pretty bad here and I still have not gotten a good answer as to why.
    No Warwick it not overpriced wanna be's, more and more pros are using them all the time worldwide. I like the necks, the tone, the sustain and the variety. Some like the older models, well the same is true for Fender and Rick.

3. Most of the necks I've come across were uncomfortable for me. I realize others will like what is uncomfortable for me. Always seem to sound like there's something missing. THE best sounding Warwick I've played had a Basslines pickup. Extremely well put together, very solid. For me, overpriced - because I would need to replace the pickups, and for $1000 + a bass shoudl have better pickups.

4. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, then look at the used market. i could get a corvette standard barely used for 650 ish

so throw in new j pups for 120

and 770 gots me a sick axe.

i really think equipment is overrated.

i'm really starting to get that feeling.

5. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    I have to say I really like warwicks. But this was not always the case. I went through a phase of liking then just because they were "fancy high end basses" that were quite out of my reach at the time. Then I played a few and really did not like the feel of them, and it kindof ruined the appeal of them to me for a while. Then recently I tried out a thummb bolt-on 4 at a local music store and totally fell in love with it. The sound was superb, and the neck, though beefy, felt really good in my hands and played with ease. It was seriously marked down at this store's 'midnight madness' sale and I bought the bass. Very glad I did.

The thumb has that classic warwick growl and sounds crisp and clear. Mess with the EQ a lot and you can get it sounding quite "Hi-Fi". However, you can also get more of a smooth jazz bass sound out of it by blending more towards the neck pickup and turning down the treble a bit. It's actually quite versatile for achieving different sounds, and a minimal amount of knobs to fiddle around with to do so.

The bass plays really well also. I would describe mine as having a "medium" action now, which I wouldn't mind it being slightly lower, but the bass still plays incredibly well enough that it doesn't bother me enough to lower it. It gets a perfect funky fingerstyle and slap sound, and if you turn up the treble a bit and dig in hard with your fingers, you can get that clanky noise more suitable for playing metal. The neck is beefy and before I tried out the bass I thought it would be a chore to play, but not so. It actually feels quite natural, and seems like it encourages a more ergonomical fretting-hand thumb position. At first it reminded me more of the feel of an upright bass, but it plays incredibly smoothly.

I have never tried a fretless warwick but already I find myself GASing for a fretless thumb or corvette.

6. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i <3 the fretless corvette. i jus have no reason to own one.

its so good.

7. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I am hard pressed to find enough difference in the sound and feel of the neck throughs to justify their high price, but the BOs are a gread deal for how well they play and how they get you to that warwick sound.

8. i dont know own one yet but i plan to.. i like the thumb B.O. alot more the any corvette i've played. although they are known for there heavy lows i really couldnt get them outta of the corvette, maybe it was just me or the amps i was used at the store but they didnt seem that low... the thumb however i could, the thing may the entire bass section shake with an open E.

overall, i like them, dont think there over price, good all around bass..... just not the best.

9. Great Basses.

10. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I don't think this question is as cut and dry as it's overpriced or it's great. They are well made basses. They are from Germany so that's going to drive the price up a little. They also have their own signature sound that another manufacture has yet to capture accurately. They are not for everyone obviously. There are two factors right there though that would cause the price to go up and rightfully so. Your buyers ultimately decide what your price is. If people aren't willing to pay the price then manufacturers either need to quit or lower the prices. So I guess you really can't call them overpriced logically thinking. It may be overpriced for an individuals liking. Does that make sense?

11. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i'm a soon to be warwick owner.

basscentral has a used corvette standard with my name on it..

so i'm FOR EM

12. I have no idea what the model was, but it was fretless, neck through 5 string and it had Barts... that was THE BEST fretless I have ever played, but for $2,500 used I couldn't never afford it... I feel that they are priced very high, but some of them are probaby worth it. They are built to last, they sound killer (at least this one did) and they play like butter... If I had the cash I would have bought it.

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Not all of them are overpriced, they also make some reasonably-priced models such as the Corvette and the Streamer LX (which has been discontinued, though, as far as I know.)

14. steve21

steve21 Banned

Some I've played I havne't enjoyed.

I played a very expensive one (dont' remember the model, 2500+ dollars) that I absolutely hated.

on the other hand, i played an 8 or 900 dollar corvette fretless that was amazing in tone and feel.

15. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    The build quality in their economy models is definitely better than most comparatively priced basses (Fender, for example). OTOH, i've sold my Corvette and Thumb BO and still have my Fenders for the sound.

The high end models are among the best in business.

Many people don't like Warwick basses simply because they don't fit in many situations because of their growly midrange tone. In the mix the sound kinda stings between bass drum and other instruments, where the classic fender sound wraps around the spectrum of the band.

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I bought a Corvette 6 because it was the cheapest bass available in lefty here. And because they sound good. I like growl.

The list prices are a bit blown up, also they are more expensive in the US; whrereas they are cheaper than most MIA basses in Europe. The quality has been slowly deteriorating, but at lest now they are listening to customers' wishes (thinner and lighter neck, ligher body).

I think they are good basses.

17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    here in europe any massproduced american bass is a overpriced wannabe of a warwick or euro spector.

18. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Great basses, beautiful tone, especially the thumb bass, but each to there own IMO.

19. I don't own one but I've played a quite a few including a warwick Dolphin custom shop worth about US$6300. I like them. I think the sound is punchy and clear, well defined without being sterile. Sometimes I think they can be a little bit too growly but that's just a matter of EQ. I like the necks - they feel fast and comfortable to me. Some of the bodies, like the thumb, are a little too small for my taste. It wouldn't put my off buying one though. In fact, the only thing that would make me hesitate to buy one is the fact that most of them have natural finishes which require more maintenance (wax, etc). Construction quality is excellent.

Overall I like them quite a lot. I would love to buy a fretless Corvette proline sometime.

20. FunkyXL

FunkyXL

Feb 17, 2006
    Netherlands
    I think that Warwick basses are worth there money.
    Warwicks look good, good electroncis, good sound, good playability etc.

Alembics are the basses that are really overpriced...i mean they are great, but not worth that much money.