Warwicks in China

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mingustoo, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Some of you may be curious. I went to a party in Shenzhen China (just inside the border from Hong Kong) where all the top bar bands in town were playing. I saw at least eight bands and five of the guys were playing Warwicks!! It's not what I expected. There were also a Music Man, a Fender Jazz, a Yamaha Billy Sheehan, and some I didn't get a good look at.

Great players and awesome singers too if you were wondering.
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've been seeing alot of them on this tour as well. Mostly Thumb BO's.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm seeing lots of Ws here, as well: they are way cheaper than American-made basses. You can get Ws new 15-20-25% below list price, whereas basses made in the US cost 30-40% or even more above list :eek: :mad:
    So, its cheaper and its got a nice tone. And you can have them in many p-up configurations. About two weeks ago I saw a RATM tibute band, and the bassist was using a Corvette FNA... It nailed Timmy C's tone. Only with a little bit more growl. :smug:
    A new MM would cost between $2000-$3500 here (just the plain old Sterling and Stingray, no piezos and other fancy stuff - that costs even more; you also had to buy its HSC, at $300, whereas Ws come with a free Rockbag premium :spit: ), an FNA could be had for $1500 or something near that...

Still wondering why? ;)
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Warwick's presence in China dates back a few years, when the first music fairs in China were established IIRC. This was even before their Rockbass venture.