1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick's Masterbuilt Thumb NT and Teambuilt Pro Series BO LTD 2017 35th Anniversary Basses

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jul 13, 2017.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Warwick is celebrating this year's 35th anniversary. For this occasion, we are pleased to present the Warwick Masterbuilt Thumb NT LTD 2017 35th Anniversary model, available as 4-string and 5-string in overall 50 copies worldwide.

01_path_only. 02_basic. 04_path_only. 05_basic. 06_path_only. 07_path_only.

The Warwick Masterbuilt Thumb NT LTD 2017 is a so-called "Hidden Neck-through" model, with dry aged mahogany body back and neck-trough, ultra-thin Wenge neck with maple stripes and Marbled Tiger Stripe Ebony fretboard with abalone dots, under a highly Figured Maple Burl Top, with matching headstock. The pleasant "Curved Old Style" with "Tinted Natural Satin Dirty Blonde" finish matches the gold hardware. Two active EMG pickups are controlled by a 2-band MEC electronics (replica of 1984).

The Warwick Masterbuilt Thumb NT LTD 2017 is available on custom order.

For international pricing, please contact your local distributor or dealer.

For more information, please visit:

en/Warwick---Products--Instruments--Customshop---Masterbuilt--Basic-Bass-Models--Ltd.-Editions--2017-Thumb-NT---Ltd-4--4-string--Pictures.html

and:

en/Warwick---Products--Instruments--Customshop---Masterbuilt--Basic-Bass-Models--Ltd.-Editions--2017-Thumb-NT---Ltd-5--5-string--Pictures.html

As a companion to the above listed Warwick Masterbuilt Custom Shop models, the LTD 2017 Thumb instruments will also be available in the Teambuilt Pro Series, each as a Thumb Bolt-On Bass. The back of the body also consists of mahogany, the top of two parts of Maple Burl. The Wenge neck with Tiger Stripe Ebony fingerboard is bolt on, and features a matching headstock with W-logo. In addition to the Natural Transparent Satin Dirty Blonde finish, the Warwick Teambuilt Thumb BO LTD 2017 models are equipped with gold hardware, as well as active MEC pickups and an active MEC 2 band electronics.

06_path_only. 05_basic. 04_path_only. 03_basic. 02_basic. 01_path_only.

We will produce a maximum of 100 4 string and 100 5 string Warwick Teambuilt Thumb BO LTD 2017 35th Anniversary models.

For international pricing, please contact your local distributor or dealer.

For more information, please visit:

en/Warwick---Products--Instruments--Pro-Serie---Teambuilt--Pro-Serie---Teambuilt--Thumb-BO-Ltd-2017--Thumb-BO-Ltd-2017--4-string--Pictures.html

and:

en/Warwick---Products--Instruments--Pro-Serie---Teambuilt--Pro-Serie---Teambuilt--Thumb-BO-Ltd-2017--Thumb-BO-Ltd-2017--4-string--Pictures.html

2. Is this proof that Warwicks really did use EMGs as their standard pickups back in the day?

3. Sosa

Sosa Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    San Diego
    Bass san Diego has one Masterbuilt Thumb NT LTD in stock!!! :woot:

Bass San Diego

4. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I graduated high school in 92, right on the brink of them putting out bolt on necks and shifting to MEC pickups.

Before that they used a grab bag of pickups that kinda made me hit GC and Haight Ashbury Music to check out what random setups were on the wall. Bart's on MEC preamps are kinda cool for the fretless growly thing.

MEC pickups, meh.

5. I always heard that MECs were made to be the in-house replacement for EMGs. So before they used MECs, they actually used various pickups? Which ones especially, apart from EMGs and Barts?

6. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Seymour Duncans would appear infrequently.
    GC near Berkely is long closed, but they had the best selection....or they were a dumping ground, still dunno which.

EMG-Barts (fretless)-SD was my order of preference back then.
    The idea that a passive pickup paired with an onboard preamp is premium wasn't a thing back then.
    It was more a low or mid $ class thing to get with the high $ active active fad.

Passive pickups we're pretty binary, either vintage/oem replacement or HOT. There wasn't a "musical" option, at least in bass pickups.

Now I would ditch the MEC preamp for a SD in a MM format passive MEC pickup and get pretty decent results.

If I wanted to go tried and true, EMG pickups and preamp just to take off the training wheels MEC preamps saddle you with.

I mean the mid cut MEC preamps have = growl?
    Lemme slap a Flowmaster on a 6cyl Mustang.

We aren't talking the same woods as late 80's basses as say my $$'s, so I don't see why scooped woods + cardboard pickups + scooped preamp shouldn't be fixed with better electronics.

Kinda like modding and dialing power back into a diesel truck.

I'd also just go buy an old W for the asking price of their nostalgia basses.

7. blmartin2215

blmartin2215

Feb 14, 2006
    dallas
    I've seen EMG's the most on early Warwick Thumbs. I put EMG's and an Auguilar OBP 3 in my 98 NT 4 and it sounds wonderful. Let me say that the active MEC's arent that different than the EMG's (which are active). The pre amp sounds much better with the Auguilar. My suggestion to anyone who has warwicks, keep the pickups but upgrade the pre amps. You will have to adjust some pots but it can be done.

bassbooty and BlueAliceOasis like this.
  8. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I like Alberto Rigatoni's efforts to spend ever € he can put in a YouTube clip.

It give people entrenched in narrow patterns examples of where they can go.

W ownership can be as limiting as Spector ownership if you listen to forums.

If you want to uncap your car, swapping out just the mufflers will make it sound different from stock.

If you really want to pull hp and torque out of a stock motor you should change the pipe(s) and cat(s) + give the motor a tune.

Maybe some boltons.

Depends on what you want.

9. And I just bought it! :hyper:

Goatrope and Sosa like this.
  10. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I kinda wish they'd repop the JD with a Schaller bridge, non-volute neck, and the Klingon peak btw the tuners.

11. Sosa

Sosa Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    San Diego
    Going Back to Home !!

12. Goatrope

Goatrope Gold Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I'm kinda curious about that rear strap button location. I've got a German NT 4 which I bought new in 2013. It was absolutely flawless in its construction. I can't imagine a more perfectly crafted instrument, but that Master Built sure looks sweet.

@Taustin Powers Let us know how it hangs, in your upcoming NBD post. Congrats!

13. Regarding the strap button, I think that's just how they built them in the early days. Spec says "Curved old style Thin Body Shape". My 1994 Thumb BO is the same way. Never thought twice about it. Sure, it neckdives, but so do all Thumbs. (And I think this button location should actually help counter the neckdive?)

E319CD3B-52AD-4941-96E1-ADD67FFE094C_zpsgze3ff6o.

Goatrope likes this.
  14. Goatrope

Goatrope Gold Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Nice. Yeah, not an issue for me, but I was just curious. Thank you!

15. In the early days they (officially) offered a choice between EMG, Bartolini and Seymour Duncan (specifically, these with the dip switches).
    medium_78695-fernandes-mij-4-neck-tru-w-seymour-duncan-active-dip-switch-pup-s-and-hsc.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  16. bluegreenturtle

bluegreenturtle

Mar 15, 2003
    Oregon
    BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  17. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    GC and Haight Ashbury Music did the luck of the draw thing. You remember how you had to actually play all the Warwicks to find one you liked?

There is a lot more variation when things are hand finished.

I do remember seeing MECs and thinking they were a bit wooden and narrow compared to what I was used to.

I kinda laugh now when guys see an older Thumb or Streamer and think the pickups have been changed out.

Everyone so often a pre-88 will pop up and people kinda stare at the Schaller bridge or the poly finish + colors were done 3rd party.

18. I have one of those (86') plus an 88' and I wouldn't trade them for any new ones. The early handmade vibe is definitely noticeable.

19. somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    JD Thumbs pop up for less than what the new ones go for, so that would get my $ instantly.

I also remember the SD pickups that had those EQ dipswitches.
    It wasn't a bad idea, but anyone that tried switching those little things on the fly tended to want more granular control.

I do like all the metal clips on YouTube with Thumbs sporting "not MEC" pickups. They just sound better.