Warwicks: Tonal differeance between brass and plastic nuts.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dustinvavak, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    For those of you who know from experience with any bass what are the changes is in tone when you change from plastic to brass nut?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Some claim the brass has more sustain, thats about it really.
  3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I would have thought the differance would have been mostly psychological...
  4. Moreau

Jan 3, 2006
    once u fret a note, there is no difference. the nut no longer is in the equation. so just dont sweat it, unless u like to let open notes ring out for hours....
  5. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Plus, they're fully adjustable so you can set the action to however you want without having to permanently file anything down. At least thats the way mine is. I don't know if they still do this. :bag:

I love the look and sound of the brass hardware. great sustain!
  6. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Not to derail, but how much would warwick charge for a brass adjust-a-nut?
    I'd love to get one because as I far as I know they're way more adjustable and smoother than the graphite version I have on my bass.

7. the guys at warwick will gladly sell you a brass adjust-a-nut for about $25. minimal work to install. the warwick techs will likely tell you they prefer the graphite adjust-a-nut II's over the brass nuts. i've had both and find the graphite nuts work great and you can adjust them with the strings on and tuned. the old style warwick brass adjust-a-nuts are now sold via most online guitar parts stores and i've seen the odd one being sold from a parts store on ebay.