1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwicks with Aguilar pre-amp + MEC pickups = ???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Daywalker, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I've seen a couple posts here and there that briefly talk about swapping out MEC pre-amps with Aguilar ones. I'm trying to find out for sure, do the Aggie pre-amps work well with the MEC pick-ups? I'm happy with the tone from my Wicks, but I'm just wondering if they could sound even better?:eyebrow:

Thanks

2. I've been thinking of swapping out the duncan pre in my SSII for the aggie three way.
    I've heard/played a thumb5 n/t with this combo, and it sounded great.

3. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    So, the Aggie/Duncan combo would be a better idea than the Aggie/MEC combo?

4. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I normally chime in when this question is brought up, but I'm a big fan of the MEC and Aguilar combo. I used this combination with my previous Warwick and I have an Aguilar pre in my current Streamer LX 5-string. I really like the Aguilar over the MEC pre, I always felt the low end on the MEC pre could get a bit wooly or muddy in certain rooms. I love the MEC pickups but felt the MEC pre was masking the tone a bit (I think it has to do with where the bass is centered on the pre - around 100 Hz). The Aguilar really opens things up, sounds cleaner and more clear. I also like the slap tone more with the Aguilar as well.

The Duncan pre is also great, I don't have any experience with one in a Warwick but with another basses, very nice. I don't think one is better than the other, just more of a personal preference kind of thing. I've read many a post where people praise the Warwick/Duncan combo.

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Do you have to change out the knobs when you change pre-amps? I'd like to keep all my hardware the same if I could...

6. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You will/should be able to use the existing hardware. I did when I had the OBP-1 installed. I even kept the pull volume option the same so I could defeat the preamp if needed for whatever reason. I guess it depends on which preamp you go with. I recently did have to change the hardware though as I opted to have the passive tone control added. So I had to get a concentric knob for the bass and treble controls. This was before Aguilar released their OBP-2 preamp with boost and cut on both bass and treble, otherwise I would have got that preamp. The benifit of the setup I have now is that when I deactivate the preamp I still have the added benefit of the passive tone when using the pickups only.

7. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    So the OBP-2 is lookin to be my best bet then? I'm no electrician, how much would I be lookin at to get one installed on my axe? Thanks...

8. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If I had to do it over again, I would have gone the OBP-2 route. As for how much, depends who you take it to. Shouldn't be more than a hours worth of labor. When I initially had mine installed, the tech really wasn't familiar with Aguilar products and wasn't sure of a couple of specification (plus they forgot to ground it properly). If I took it to the tech that I use now, he would have had it complete within the hour. So I guess it's tough to say on cost.