warwicks with Elixers or warwick strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Steven1k5, May 31, 2003.

1. Steven1k5

Steven1k5 Guest

May 28, 2003
    long beach, CA
    I heard some bad things about warwicks strings and some good things, so i was wondering wut the sound difference would be using the warick strings on a warwick or elixers on it? thanks
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    depends what ones you get, Warwick have three tiers of prices on their strings. black, yellow, red (most expensive to least expensive).

I've used the black label strings before and they were fine, but I've been using elixirs for the last few years on my Thumb 5. They stay brighter longer.
  3. I've never tried Elixirs, since a set costs about $80 over here, so I can't comment on them, but I've had Black Label strings on my Streamer Stage One, and had my now gone six string Ares strung up with Red Labels.
    The Reds are indeed cheap, and a bit tinny sounding, but alright for the price. They stayed bright for quite a long time, and had a nice enough, if somewhat rough, feel. I'll probably never buy a new set of those for another bass, if I don't have to.
    The same goes for the Black Label ones. Even though I liked their tension and all that, I was never won over by their sound. Like most other stainless steel strings I've tried, they're a bit too bright, and cold, sounding, for my inherently bright Streamer. At least for the sound I'm looking for. But if you like the sound of steel strings to begin with, there's nothing wrong with-, or special about- for that matter, Black Labels.
  4. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    I haven't tried the elixer - they are godamn expensive !!!
    but i have to say im not a big fan of the warwick strings.
    i think maybe you should try another brand like Ken Smith, the reason is that a luthier in Israel (my country) told me that some strings have bad core and can't have a correct intonation.
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I had Elixirs on my Stage II for a little while and I guess I was a bit disappointed in them. Right out of the bag, I feel Elixirs sound pretty dull. I think that's why people think they last longer because you don't hear that change from bright to dull. The feel of the coating is okay, but really not any differrent than a nickel plated IMO. Overal, I would buy 3 sets of any other brand over Elixirs, and you can get about 10 sets of Carvins, if not more, for the price of the Elixirs, and change more often.
  6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have used about ten different brands of strings on my Thumb bass and when I tried ss round wound Roto Sounds, I never went back to anything else. They really make a Warwick growl.
  7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I dunno man, just consider the prices. That could make or break your decision...
    The Elixirs are like 35-50 dollars online...
    And the Warwicks are like 16- 30...
    (All prices from http://musiciansfriend.com)
    But, just look at reviews. The Elixirs are really bright sounding, and have that coating which is hella nice.
    But I don't really remember how the Warwicks sound, I remember my friend got a Standard Corvette, and I remember the strings felt really nice...
    Hope I could help a little bit man...