Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwicks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eric234, Jun 4, 2005.

1. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    i was wondering if warwicks are really any good for like a jazz and blues kind of thing or if i should just get a fender

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    right...i suggest you,jazz Bass American Deluxe

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Depends on the Warwick in question. Warwicks utilize a variety of body woods, so some will certainly sound different from others.

Something like the Corvette FNA Jazzman or Streamer Jazzman are tonally quite versatile. Something like the Thumb has that signature Thumb tone regardless of knob settings. Still, I think I could coax varied sounds out of a Thumb for a wide variety of styles.

Some basses like the Corvette Proline or Streamer Stage 1 may sound brighter than the Thumb or Corvette Standard since the former use maple bodies while the latter use ovangkol or bubinga bodies, which impart a less bright sound.

In short, yes, I do believe Warwicks can fit into just about any musical style or context. Sure metal guys like Ryan Martinie use Warwicks, but so do R&B and jazz type guys like Steve "Styles" Rodriquez and John Ormond.

Warwicks do have their own idiosyncratic tone. A Warwick will NOT sound like a Fender in much the same way a doberman is quite different from a shih-tzu, though both are dogs. But if you dig the Warwick vibe and can make it work for you, then sweet. If not, then try something else.

Then again, I'm a Warwick fanboy so I'm a bit biased... I absolutely love the Warwick tone while the classic Fender tones don't really jump my bones as much.

4. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005
    Dincrest pretty much nailed exactly what I was thinking.
    If you just HAVE to have the 'prestige' of owning a Warwick go with the Corvette FNA Jazzman or I was thinking the Streamer Stage I.

I'm not a huge fan of Fenders, but I think I would go for the Jazz Bass over the Warwicks. Far more bang for your buck.
    Not saying the Warwicks are bad! (so all you warwick fans can stop foaming at the mouth now) They are amazing basses.
    But IMO, you can do better for that kind of money. Save some $$ and jump on the Fender J, or turn yourself on to a Pedulla.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
    If you're gonna get a Fender, get a G&L..the real thing.

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    ...unless you buy a Warwick used. I bought my Corvette Standard used and couldn't be happier. The bass is totally worth more than I paid for it. In the TalkBass classifieds section there are some sweet deals on folks selling Warwicks at honey prices.

New German Warwicks can be expensive, but used ones can be had at great RockBass level prices.

If I had the kind of money to buy a Warwick new, I'd have instead gone for a handcrafted custom bass like a Bud LeCompte bass or something. I love his body shapes.

7. i have a 97 Corvette Standard it has the weng neck and bubigina(sp?) body. i added a fender 62 reissue bridge pickup.i can get it to sound close to my jaz bass but its much clearer

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have owned a couple of Warwicks, a Corvette FNA 4 and a Streamer Jazzman 5.

I was able to get the right sound for just about anything I wanted to play with the Streamer. It did always have its own sound (it always sounded like a Warwick), but you could dial in a wide variety of tones with it. It was a very nice bass, I would recommend trying one out to see if it would work for you. After owning it over a year, however, I just wasn't playing it enough to justify keeping it (it always took a backseat to my Modulus), so I got rid of it.

My problem is no matter how much I want to like Warwicks, I just haven't found one that really does it for me. Aside from the Streamer Stage I's and II's (although they are both different animals, I really wouldn't mind owning either one of them someday) I just haven't found a Warwick that would get playing time over my F or my Modulus.

9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yes, it will work just fine.

The last band that I was in was a blues band. I recieved many compliments on my tone from listeners and band members alike.

I play a Warwick Thumb.

Traditional? No. Great sounding? YES! Fits the music? YES!

:D

Joe.

10. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    +111111

11. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    You couldn't pay me enough to play a Warwick. The necks, to me, are like tree trunks. The electronics, again, to me are nothing special. If you want the classic blues type of tone, a Fender is better.

My two cents,

Alan

12. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    couldn't help but add to this,
    i've owned numerous warwicks beginning in the '80's,
    and imo, anything made after '90 or '91 is nothing like the earlier
    basses. i am going to buy warwick again, but only when i come across
    earlier used models.
    if you ever have the opportunity to play a new and old 'wick
    in the same sitting, you will see what i mean.
    probably alot to do with neck design difference/ oldies have full wenge necks,
    plus bartolini pups and pres.
    much different in sound and feel to me
    d

13. ugh...I play in a blues band with a Thumb 6, man sometimes I do get dirty looks, but nobody has complained about my sound so far...but please don't make any decisions base on my opinion, I have wierd taste...

14. As a Warwick owner, I am a bit biased. But as mentioned earlier, the JazzMan model has a great variety of tones, and I think they're all very useful.

15. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    +2 cents

Now I haven't heard or played every single Warwick ever, but I have owned a Corvette Proline, known an owner of a neckthrough Thumb, and played several other models. They seem very solid, well made instruments, and some are attractive looking. One thing they all seem to have in common is a mid-weak tone that sounds great until you add a band, then vanishes into the mix never to be heard again. In a low volume gig like jazz or blues it might actually be fine. The absolutely best sounding Warwick I have ever heard was a cheaper bolt on model. The pickup and electronics had been yanked and replaced with a Duncan MM type pickup. That one sounded awesome. I just can't rationalize spending that kind of money and having to change the pickups.

16. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Mid-weak tone?? VANISHES into the mix??

Dude, you have just contradicted THE MAIN ATTRIBUTE of the Warwick sound!

My Thumb cuts throught the mix like a hot knife through butter at all volume levels!

I'll bet the you did not like the tone (that's o.k., different strokes for different folks) and tried to eq the bass like you would a Fender or Ibanez. That would NOT have worked.

Warwick basses are used in almost if not all genres of music. Successfully. Everything from heavy metal to jazz. Because of the TONE!

Warwick ROCKS!!!

(But don't get me wrong, my P-Bass rocks too!!)

:D

Joe.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have to agree with Joe. Corvettes and Thumbs, IME cut through very well.

18. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    You can't go wrong with the fender jazz...

19. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I played a few Warwicks today, and they were okay. Think they were a Streamer, FNA Jazzman, and a Thumb. I didn't mind the necks much, as my hands are huge. The tone . . . very, very modern. You can probably tweak them to get a jazz and blues sound, but they'll never have the Fender warmth. I vote Fender.

Or Carvin. Good blend of modern and classic tone.

20. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    All of the basses you mention are good. It really comes down to you having to play them back to back and to a full on comparison.

IMO, the J-Bass is certainly the original 2 PU bass-- the all around bass if you will. The Warwick 'Vette and others are certainly configured based on the Jazz but really they are all so different. I own both a J and a Vette and can tell you that they are totally different basses. The J is a very traditional sounding electric bass that can still stretch itself out a bit going from a "burpy" back pickup sound to a meaty Marcus Miller round and dark type sound. The Warwick is very organic sounding-- the woods are really what give the tone and the construction is much more botique-like so it is a different playing experience. You'll enjoy either but I think you need to determine which sound and feel is more "you" as both have lots of character. My two cents, anyway, hope it helps.

Guitar center is good for something...