Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwicks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmbbassdude, May 15, 2002.

1. dmbbassdude

dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    NY
    What is the best Warwick to buy? I would like to buy one, but I want to get some feedback before I do. Thanks.

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    a used one is first and for most! Value drops to much.

second I personally like the the neck-through warwick's and anything 95 and back. Streamer stage I & II are probably the most comfortable. Thumbs are the least expensive in the neck-through line with stage I & II's being in the middle followed by the dolphin.

good luck on your search

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The Infinity is a killer bass, the Dolphins (though I haven't played one) are supposed to be awesome, Streamer Stages are great...
    It would be easier to make suggestions if we knew what you were looking for in a bass and what price range your looking at.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    streamer stage II = best warwick.

5. I say F.N.A. Jazzman ! (5)

Yesterday I played them all..

Thumb, Infinity, Streamer (LX and Stage),
    Dolphine ..

but I like (my) Jazzman the most

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Thumb BO fretless with Alembic electrics-no wait that's my bass...

My advice is to do some research on the different features and try a range of body shapes/materials pickups etc.

The Thumb and Streamer are must trys. There are some oddballs like the Dolphin II with a gorgeous maple neck.

In my experience you can lust after something and then not buy it. If your heart is set on a Warwick there is enough variation in the range so that something should suit you. Hence the advice to try loads.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The best Warwick that you can buyt is one that says 'SPECTOR' on it!!!;)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist:)

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how cheap can i find a warwick for?
    does anyone have one for sale cheap?

steve

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Stage1 5 gets my vote.

10. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Watch ebay, especially "the Bass Place" in AZ....they seem to be clearing out a lot of Warwicks. I hear all the talk about the Thumb not balancing well and other criticisms of Warwick, but being one that really loves Warwick basses, I have a passion for the Fortress line myself. They balance great, and if you can get a pre '99 with the wenge neck, all the better. I have never been able to tell a sound difference between the wenge and the newer ovankol (sp?) necks, but they feel a lot different. If you only see the front of the bass in an ebay photo, usually if it has the brass nut instead of the newer teflon nut, it will also have a wenge neck.

11. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I love the Thumb bass... it's my first Warwick bass. BUT I must admit that the Stage II is simply better: more versatile, more balanced.
    The Dolphin is like the Thumb bass, but it's well balanced. The new ones are crap, like the other MEC equipped models. Sad but true.

12. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Why do people always hate on MEC's?
    I love them.

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I also love the mecs! But also love my emg choice on my american made spector! But my vote would be a older corvette pro-line! I bought mine in 91 and had it shipped for germany! I will agree with someone above that said go for a warwick pre-95! Just better quality if you ask me!

14. I have 3 - a '94 Fortress One 5, a '99 Streamer LX, and a fretless Corvette Std. It depends on what sound you are looking for. I use the Fortress as my main bass; I play a lot of rock. It would be good for fingerstyle R&B as well. For slapping, I get out the Streamer. I also use the Streamer for heavy metal, it has great low notes all the way down to open B.

The Fortress has Seymour Duncan pickups. It and the Streamer have pre-amp. I would suggest getting one w/a pre-amp.

15. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, you could love them, but they are simply A LOT CHEAPER than the EMG, and the other pieces of the bass are too (woods, hardware etc.).
    MEC electronics are not bad, though!

16. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I like the MEC's better than the EMG's

Also, alot of people talk bad about Ovangkol.
    It's a very nice wood, many custom builders use it.

17. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Ovangkol is NOT a bad wood at all... it's simply cheaper and less ridgid than Wengé.

18. tried the thumb, the stage 1, stage 2, FNA, jazzman, corvette..

but i still like the streamer LX the most.

19. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I'll throw my vote in for the corvette proline, but mine's a newer one, not like eric's.

20. there is a stage II on ebay right now with a BUY IY NOW of 1600 dollars i think. You should check that out.