Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, what do people think of them? I think they are the best basses ever made, personally.
  2. fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I have a Corvette Standard Fretless - it is a great bass, but I'm not sure about it being the best ever - I guess that's up to each individual and their taste.

I've gotten compliments from sound engineers on its sound and tone - but it is noticeably heavier than my Fender Jazz over the course of a 4-hour gig.

I'm a tall guy, and I find it's smaller body doesn't give me as comfortable a arm/wrist rest.

Probably sounds like I'm knocking it , but I really enjoy playing the instrument (above comments noted) and it's fit and finish are impeccable. I think my personal "soul mate" is the Fender Jazz - it just feels right for me in most situations.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I really like Warwicks. Thumbs, specifically. I dont own one, and probably wont for a few years, though. Just not on my list of priorities. I want to get a nice amp setup before i buy another bass.
  4. I also love warwicks to death, however i don't own them yet. I would love to pick up a nice thumb 6 some day. or a fretless corvette.
  5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm kinda in the middle on this one. I LOVE to looks of the Warwick's, especially the Dolphin, and I think they are made VERY well. However I've played quite a few and they just aren't for me. I don't like the feel or the tone I get from them, but that's just a personal preference. I can certainly understand how people love them so much!
  6. I think they're heavy, hard to play, the neck is not the easier one in the world....
    Just my toughts after an uncle lend me his thumb bass neck through for 3 months.....

Sounds are good, preamp too, pickups were EMGs, this bass is from '89!

The B string is not hard to play as I like, so it's not a bass for me...
    Just my 2 cents and a question of taste, I respect people who love them! :)
    Hope they'll do the same with my comment!

7. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yeah, woohoo, Warwicks.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Haven't played many basses yet, have you ;) :D
  9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I own a 1997 Corvette Standard 4-String (the passive model). I love it, its got amazing tone (which might be because I've modded it with some DiMarzio Model J pickups, D123). It plays quite nicely with the wenge neck and fretboard. My only complaint is that if I play a long gig or jam for a long time it really beats up my shoulder because of its massive weight (a bubinga body will do that). Other than the weight, its fantastic. As for them being the best basses ever, I would have to disagree, but to each their own I suppose.
  10. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    The best... if you like them the most. :smug:

I have a Streamer Bass from 1991 (let's say pre-Stage I) with big Bartolini humbuckers, but it's not suitable for me. The construction is undoubtly very well and you have real wood in your hands... but I don't like the sound enough, although others gag on it big time. Just a personal question I think. I prefer jazz-tone, that's why I am sellin' it. (It's a natural one, sevenpiece stringthrough body, preamp original, new pots...etc... )
  11. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    What else can I say, sound and beauty :D
  12. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    A friend of mine (guitar player) had some recordings from his old band that I downloaded off his website. I've heard all his stuff before and I love the sound of his bass player. I knew his bass player did not play a fretless but it sounded like he was. He plays on a 5 string warwick thumb bass/neck thru/active pickups with a GK stack. It really sounds amazing- and when I am in the market to buy my next fretted bass I'll hunt one down to test out.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

14. Yea I have actually, and warwicks are the best. I've played musicmans, fenders, tobias(which are awesome too), etc....... and warwicks are just the best.
  15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Everyone knows what opinions are like....
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    tee hee, you just made yourself look foolish.

tee hee

Might want to take boutique basses into account. Customs, luthiers. Warwicks get smoked.

I still think they are the best production basses, but

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool. Have you played Nordstrands, Sadowskys, Foderas, Ritters, Roscoes, Basslabs, LeFays, Clovers, Bongos, Zons, Modulus, and Cirruses?
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    exactly ;)
  19. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Warwicks are pretty good for a bass you can buy at a normal chain music store. I've owned a very early one, an early production one, and a later model. There is too much variance over the years to make any blaket statements. I couldn't stand the early or late models ('85 and '98) but the early production (my '92 Dolphin) suites my tastes just right.

20. Hey!

You forgot F Basses! AWEWOME basses too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.