Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Was I Wrong?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I bought my first bass on Ebay. I got a "form email" telling me that I'd won and what account to send the money to. After I sent the payment, I never heard from the guy AT ALL! No email, no call, nothing! This was on Friday. I sent him about 8 emails, and never heard from, so this morning (Wednesday) I left a negative feedback post, and I had to call my credit card company to do a chargeback. He emailed me this morning to tell me that the bass had been shipped, and that he forgot to let me know. That happens, I understand that, but to be angry with the negative feedback is wrong of him. Put yourself in my position. You send a paypal payment, and it's accepted, but you hear NOTHING for almost a week. What would you think?

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

If it were me, it wouldn't have taken a week. If I know I'm selling something and I've got a buyer, they are a little bit more important than "forgetting to let you know".

I say good for you.

3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I agree. I would've done the same. I'm also paranoid by nature, but that's not always a bad thing when buying via ebay.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you did right in my book.

good luck

:)

5. It sounds to me like he isn’t telling you the whole story. I’d be interested to know on what day he actually shipped it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was sometime on Wednesday.

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I believe there are guidelines on ebay for what is acceptable in these matters. I remember once someone bought a rather expensive item from me and I wanted payment for it, pretty much right away. After a week I started to bug him to pay me because I thought it was what was the right thing for him to do. He told me he was getting the money together and that buy ebay guidelines I was supposed to give him 2-3 weeks to pay for it (I forget the exact amount of time it was). Well I checked their policies and it turned out he was right. So I said ok, and diligently waited. He paid me and I sent him the item all within the specified time, and all was well.

I have had sellers who do not really contact me about the purchases after I have paid for them. Every item I have bought has shown up. I know without immediate responses it is easy to get nervous but many sellers have huge operations and they don't personally attend to each of their auctions when a lot of it is automated. The bad thing about leaving negative feedback so soon is that it cannot be changed, even if you get the bass and you're happy with it. Doing so after only 8 days was a little "off the cuff" in my opinion, so I can understand why he was a little miffed. I would be too, but then again I make sure to always contact the other party *immediately* after the auction is over whether I am the buyer or seller.

I do think ebay says that contact should be made within 3 days, but regardless patience is sometimes required when making ebay transactions, especially large ones. I would have given it a little more time before pulling payment and leaving negative feedback...

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The bass arrived about 30 minutes ago, and in great condition.

8. I woulda dookie'd my pants and than gave him neg feedback and state that he didnt communicate.