1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Was it a mistake to bid on this 80's Squier Bullet Tele bass neck on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Campbell, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    I won it for $113, but the truss rod is maxxed out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-198...86&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=2&&autorefresh=true

I thought I successfully walked away from this one but ended up bidding a couple more times. I've heard of people putting a couple of washers in past the truss rod end and achieving success, but the description doesn't say if the neck was seriously bowed, or if it's merely just full disclosure on a neck that maintained nice action.

Well I'll find out, won't I?
    Just wondering what my options might be if I'll actually need to tighten it any further.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I gotta ask...why did you bid 113 bucks for a neck with a maxed out truss rod?

3. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    Impulse... :rollno::rolleyes::meh:

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Well hopefully the neck is straight.

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I was looking at that myself, but the truss rod was a deal breaker. So I decided to reshape a Mighty Might neck.

Hopefully he completely loosened the truss rod when he removed the neck, so the neck can settle with no tension on it.

Put a couple washers under the truss rod nut and you will get some more adjustment

6. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    What about loosening up the truss rod and then giving the neck the heat treatment? I'm not the one to ask on something like this, but a guitar shop did that for me with my old Japanese multi-laminate neck. My truss rod was also maxed. The results seem solid. Maybe it's worth a go?

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do the bullet bass necks have the same size neck pocket, ie:will it fit on other fenders? Particularly the tele style ones. Square heel?

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Check to see if you can add a few washers. I have that neck on my 83' MIJ SQ and its a great neck. It is wide but slim profile with rolled edges, fast and fun to play. If you can overcome the truss issue you got a good buy.

9. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    +1

Depending how much relief is still in it, I'd recommend loosening the truss rod nut completely, clamping the neck into a back bow, adding the washers, tightening up the rod, string it up and then see what the relief is like.