Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Was it here or on the Fender forum where everyone slagged off Zoom?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by addylewis, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Just wondering, (can't be bothered to look through them all...)

Has anyone here tried the 507(reverb),509(mod), or 510(dist/overdrive) with their bass? - think they may be guitar pedals, but they don't say on them...I like 'em - I'd recommend you try them out (if you can find any of them on Ebay) - I just find it easier than buying different pedals for my bass - and (I'm sorry to say this, but...) the chorus on the 509 beats my bass pod hands down! :eek:

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sad to say this but POD effects suck so hard that even a cheapo Zoom pedals sounds better. Why didn't they stick to modelization ?
    The 510 was completely worthless on bass and not that much better on guitar. I haven't tried the others.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    All the zoom pedals with only one exception are crap crap crap crap crap ;)

The exception, is the Zoom Ultra Fuzz. Which is great.

4. Jazz Ad

On the other hand, studio stuff and digirecorders are very nice.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The early stuff like the 9010, 9030 and 9002 were great FX units for their time, but then they took the budget route.

6. the pods effects aren't that bad, but I can't get any decent chorus sound out of it..the fuzzface is nice...

Why don't people like zoom? In what way do they sound crap?

I gotta say though - with a choice of 4 ripoff (£60+) SINGLE Boss effects, or 4 multi-specialized zoom pedals that you can get on Ebay for about half the price? - I know which I prefer, and its not bloody Boss...

(ok they may have a reputation, and they are made of METAL - but they only do one sound each which for 60-150 quid is an effing ripoff if you ask me!)

There aren't any standard Boss effects that zoom don't also do, maybe people just don't like the DIGITAL aspect of Zoom... :bassist:

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    No.. People don't like Zoom (and other multi-effects) for a variety of reasons:

1) the quality of each individual effect is poor as compared to a stand-alone effect. Try a Zoom Chorus vs. BOSS, EBS, Digitech, or EHX. it's all about Tone, Tone, Tone. Why spend $30 on something that'll make my bass sound like several different toys, when I can spen $60 on something that will do one thing well and sound great doing it?

2) multi-effect units are hard to program on the fly. If you want to change ONE parameter, you have to go through a series of menus, etc. If I need to turn up the rate on my Chorus, I lean over and turn a knob... when I play barefoot, I can do it with my toes!

3) multi-effect units often limit the combinations you can have. With the exception of very high-end units, you can usually only have 33-4 effects running at once, and the order is normally dictated by the presets.

4) switching between pre-sets is difficult on the fly, as well, with the exception of units that either have many foot switches (PODXT Live and BOSS ME units) or have an external MIDI or Cat-5 connection (POD, POD XT, tons of others).

5) since mutli-effects are digital, they are rarely true-bypass. You'll always get some color in your tone. I found this to be true of an Alesis unit I borrowd for a brief time.

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good post.
    When you..?

You freak.

Joe

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    what? People don't play barefoot around here?? :bag:

Actully, I adjust my Big Muff and BB's on the fly w/ my feet all the time w/ or w/out shoes... *L* nice large knobs...

10. I've gotta say, using pedals barefoot is a new one on me man... :eyebrow: :cool:

11. Jazz Ad

Dat ain't nuthin'.
    I play naked sometimes.

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I had a 506, I gave it away. Yuck!

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ditto, and a guitarist I'm working with (primarily a bassist) didn't even bother, right in the trash can.

14. actually, i prefer the chorus in my Zoom 506 and 708II to my Boss CEB3.

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hm...

...Well, you're still a freak, Bassman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I just joined a Funk band, so I'll be FAR from barefoot - I'm thinking of getting some big'ol PLATFORM shoes.

...Hey - maybe I could install pedals IN my shoes!

Hm...

Joe

16. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    That would be ****ing awesome. Do it! And yeah, I play with bare feet most of the time.

On Topic: I love the old Boss Chorus, the CE-2B. 'Tis very nice.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    In order to switch my Boss Me-6B's manual function off and on, I have to have a free big toe.

18. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I used to have a 708 a while back, and for what it was, it was cheap and effective. It was well made and never went down. I had a Korg Pandora which sounded better though.