Was it the right call to make?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stu L., Mar 7, 2003.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I just quit my band. Long story short, the rythm guitarist and I could not see eye to eye on an upcoming performance. I said we were not ready, he doesnt even have his parts right. I don't have the bass parts right. So we talked about it, and I thought we decided to call the gig off. He called today, and after a few conversations about rehearsing (I told him I was not going to tonite to spend time with my family, my daughters only 3 weeks old!) He tells me that he's ready to play and the parts are "close enough". My argument is that the band is not ready and that close enough is not good enough. I basically refused to play when I knew it would be sub-par.

The lead player quit with me basically, and the drumer quit after some remarks from the rythm guitarist. We plan on the three of us continuing playing togother.

Did I make the right call? Should I have given in and said "Yes I'll play like crap"?
  2. I think you did the right thing. No use hurting the image of your band by playing bad.
  3. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Tough call to make. If you wait until everything is perfect, then you will never play out. Sometimes you just need to take a leap of faith. However, if you guys dont even know the parts, then you made the right call.

P.S. Thulsa, just read your sig, that is hilarious!
  4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thats the point I was trying to make with him. He wanted to do a show after a couple weak practices and one or two good ones. I can make an idiot of myself, without anyones help. ;)
  5. fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    In a roundabout way, it almost seems like you fired your guitarist instead of quitting the band. If the majority of the band is with you on this one, you probably made the right call.
  6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hadn't looked at it like that. Thanks! :D