Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Was Jaco Pastorius The Greatest Electric Bassist Of All Time?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassketcase, Mar 31, 2001.

1. i need help on deciding whether Pastorius was the greatest bassist of all time and i am looking for names of other gret bassits so i may study their works.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    "Was Jaco Pastorius The Greatest Electric Bassist Of All Time?"

of course he was! he told us all so, repeatedly. :D

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Other great bassists:
    Victor Wooten
    Marcus Miller
    Francis Rocco Presia
    Steve Bailey
    Bill Dickens
    And the list goes on..

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Those are great bass player, but not even close to Jaco.

5. It's whoever you like the most, that's who is the best.

6. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I say that he is, if for no other reason than the fact that anything that anybody plays, he could play/played first (if it is worth playing, I am excluding punk and Metallica type stuff, love em' but not for this thread)

So unless someone comes around and totally changes the way bass is and ever will be, then he is and will be the best, cause he didn't have anybody to go off of, he was the first, so anybody else is going off of the ball that he rolled.

7. it's all personal opinion :)

8. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    maybe. who cares.

9. evidently the person who started this thread, lol

10. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I always thought he was steam-powered.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i never heard jaco slap. in fact, he had many styles that he was a trailblazer with, and lots of innovations, but there were many styles and techniques that he never did.

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Jaco was certainly a great great player but his style of coma inducing, watered down jazz he fancied puts me to sleep in a matter of a few short minutes. Who am I? Nobody really, just a guy with an opinion. I find his compositions to be very unmotivating. I'd rather hear a great bass line like the one in Taste of Honey's "Boogie Oogie Oogie." That's a hell of a lot more fun.

13. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I suppose part of my liking to the guy is the fact that I have a classical and jazz upbringing as well as rock and roll. I try not to play the kind of stuff that he would, when I am with my band, we play a lot heavier and are more concerned with "rockin the joint"

14. your all wayyyyy off. fieldy is

15. Korn are good but no he's not that great
    Fieldy isn't up there with the greats.

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bassket- jr is being facetitious, (or else he will get slapped around big time here). Fieldy is the "class joke" for the most part on TalkBass. By the way, welcome to TalkBass!

You don't need any help deciding. That should be up to you. Personally, I don't listen to Jaco for laid back enjoyment. But when I want to hear unmatched bass virtuousity and technical skill, he is the first one who comes to mind.

When you get to a certain level of excellence, you leave the comparisons behind, and realize they are just different, IMO. Some fit your taste and others don't, but you appreciate the excellence of those you don't particularly care for anyway. (Is a Ferrari worse than a Lamborghini? Is a Pedulla bass better than a Zon? Is Coke worse than Pepsi?)

John Entwistle and Tim Bogert are two bassists who really get me amped, plus a lot of those others have mentioned. I don't see them as one being better than the other, just different.

BTW, a lot of us who have been playing for a number of years barely consider Fieldy a bassist, much less a "good" one.

17. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I'm gonna have to listen to some Korn to see how bad he really is. I think I've only heard one song from them and I wasn't particularly impressed and I wasn't focusing on the bass. Can anyone reccomend a tune or two for a Korn fed experience?

18. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

jaco was cool but new is cool , there are alot of great players we learn from, and jaco was just one . but jaco was not the first to use that style the list is long. bootsy collins worked with james brown and slapped the bass it was new and people loved it. billy sheehan did some great tapping, geddy lee great riffs, on and on and on ! but what we learn and can play from pioneers who open windows is what is great !!!!! all styles all music.

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The two bassists who I admire most, and emulate, never slapped: James Jamerson and Jaco Pastorious. I wonder if there's any correlation? :)

20. Why do so many Jaco fans have such a difficult time spelling his last name?