Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Was JACO wrong?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Bass, Jan 11, 2001.

1. ok.. here it comes...

I´ve got Modern Electric Bass... and on page 28 where there are Natural bass harmonics it says at 10th fret G# C# F# B from E string to G-string and those are the same harmonics that are on 4th fret... but if i´m not mistaken then these harmonics are supposed to be at the 9th fret, am i right? but i can´t hear better than those are the notes an octave higher than the harmonics on 12th fret...

I know that these harmonics can be hard to get.. so start telling me i´m wrong...

anyways... I should go study for my exam...

2. Inferno

Inferno

Nov 28, 2000
    Hi,

Here is a run down of all harmonics for a 4 string in standard tuning, going from the E string to the G string.

Fret 1.6 / B E A D Rare harmonic
    Fret 1.8 / G# C# F# B Rare harmonic
    Fret 2.1 / F# B E A Rare harmonic
    Fret 2.4 / E A D G Rare harmonic
    Fret 2.8 / D G C F Rare harmonic
    Fret 3.2 / B E A D Unusual Harmonic
    Fret 3.8 / G# C# F# B Unusual Harmonic
    Fret 5 / E A D G Common Harmonic
    Fret 7 / B E A D Common Harmonic
    Fret 8.9 / G# C# F# B Unusual Harmonic
    Fret 12 / E A D G Common Harmonic

Inferno

[Edited by Inferno on 01-11-2001 at 04:01 PM]

3. yeah.. exactly... that book is wrong...

you CAN get a harmonic from the 10th fret but it´s really hard and it is(if my ear is right-tuned) an octave lower than on the 12th fret... as i said before.. :)

this is a pretty big mistake IMO... especially in such much-used book...

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have that book too, i'll check it out when i get home. :D now i'm curious.

btw you wouldn't get a harmonic an octave lower than the one at the 12th fret - that would make it the fundamental - the open string.

5. DOH! stupid me!! :mad:

of course! I knew that... :)

seriously... I DO know that.. what was I thinking?! :eek:

OMG!! i´ve got alzheimer

OMG!!! i´ve got alzheimer...

(ok... i know it´s not fun to make fun at people with alzheimers...)

6. ok... I´ve spent some time with my bass (5-string tuned E-A-D-G-C btw...) and if there is even a harmoic then that´s 2 octaves HIGHER than the 12th fret harmonic... at least that´s what I found on my bass... and this is my final statement... this has been driving me nuts all day and I haven´t had time to study for my exam! :mad:

anyway... someone PLEASE tell me i´m wrong so I can go study for my test!! there are 9 hours till it starts and so many rules to learn(exam in icelandic)...

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well , whatever - I don't think you can blame Jaco. He had nothing to do with the production of this.

8. The harmonic at (about) the 10th fret is a 7th (F on the G string). You'll notice that it sounds out of tune compared to a fretted F, that's because fretted basses are out of tune no matter how you tune them.;)

What are rare, unusual and common harmonics?

9. you´re probably right about fretted basses being out of tune...

and common harmonics are those used commonly(duh!) :)

unusual harmonics are less used and rare even less used... :)

i think...

btw... I kinda knew it wasn´t jaco´s fault... :)

10. Inferno

Inferno

Nov 28, 2000
    Hi

rare, unusual and common harmonics refer to how easy it is to achieve a sound from that harmonic, ie:

Common harmonic - the easiest to achieve.
    Unusual harmonics - reasonably easy to achieve
    Rare harmonics - difficult to achieve

Inferno