Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

was jefferson an anti federalist?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Oct 28, 2004.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    and did he support strict constructionalism?

freakin AP U.S. history course is freakin me out!!!

thanks,
    slick

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Yes, Jefferson was a Democratic Republican who favored a decentralized government with the states having the power...

Hamilton favored a strong central gov't. He and Jefferson were fierce opponents.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Jeffersonians believed in the individual rights of the states and the individual. They believed that the central gov't should be there to protect those rights, not to take rights away.

The Federalists believed that the uneducated masses should not have much direct control. They believed that the poor should work to pull themselves out of poverty, and that the rich had no responsibility towards the lower classes.

The Federalists passed the Alien and Sedition acts which was really a ploy to keep Democratic-Republicans out of power...

Jefferson, when elected president, appointed many dem-reps to government jobs as a sort of retaliation for the alien and sedition acts.

4. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    ahh, thank you very much, i sure hope this thread wont get barred for it being too "political" heh!

i know i can get kinda worked up over those darn antifeds. who do they think they are?!?

:D
    slicks

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    don't get confused, but...

the federalists vs. antifederalists weren't political parties. they were just groups of likeminded individuals on the single issue of ratifying the constitution.

i'd like to help you out, but the closest thing to a history book in my dorm is "America: The Book," the one by the daily show. lol.

after the ratification of the constitution, THEN the federalist party took way (most of its members were the "O.G." federalists--madison jumped ship to the democratic-republicans), as did the democratic-republicans. this was right around the time washington was ending his presidency.

...but i really don't remember which side jefferson belonged to.

oh, that's right; you are on the internet! you can look up stuff. :bassist:

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    His affiliation was Democratic Republican, but many of his actions went against his party, such as the Louissianna Purchase and rebuilding of the army in 1807.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Jefferson cut the army. Thats why we had so much trouble in the war of 1812.

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yes, originally he cut the army, but then he rebuilt it when US ships in the Mediterranean were being attacked by the pirates of Barbary.

4 on the APUSH Exam.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow...I had no idea Jefferson was so political...I figured he had enough on his mind just running the cleaners and putting up with Florence's sassy wisecracks.

[​IMG]

brad cook

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

pwned! :p

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Jefferson was a great geographer!

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    As far as a strict Constitutional constructionalist, look to the tension between Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton on the creation of the Bank of the United States. Hamilton looked to the Elastic Clause (Article I, section 8) for justification for chartering a national bank. Jefferson, a more strict constructionalist, looked at the Constitution and saw no provision for such an entity.

13. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

thanks guys, this is helpin me out!

I have to write a Document Based Question tomorrow about the way federalists and anti feds went against the characterization of that feds were loose constructionists and anti feds were strict contructionists. like the fact that jefferson, a traditionally anti fed did things that conformed more too loose constructionist ideals like the bank of US, the embargo act and the louisiana purchase. Now what i need are some examples of federalists being strict constructionists....
    i have the hartford convention... but what else?

thanks
    slicks

14. AP history, I fell ya.

<-- American Governmen't APH ...