1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Was Jimi Hendrix the greatest bass player of all time?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 19, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Yes, you read the thread title right! You do know that he played the bass too, didn't you?

2. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    No, in fact I think the songs Noel played on had ballsier bass sound (esp. Come On, Part 1). I will always say Hendrix was the best guitarist and a great bassist. He was a great musician, but a lot of people can lay claim to being a better bassist.

3. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    He was better than a lot of bassists for sure!!! I found his playing liberating. Kind of another branch off the Jamerson school..

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Didn't he play most bass on EL?

And didn't Noel Redding play guitar and got picked because:

a) Billy Cox couldn't leave the country
    b)Jimi liked Noel's hair?

But best bassplayer ever? Nope.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Nope, he doesn't touch Jaco. Even so, Jaco was nowhere near the best (imo, though I still I love him). That gives a scale model of just how far Jimi missed the top spot by.

6. He wasn't even the greatest guitarist that's ever lived, and he was a better guitarist than he was a bassist.

With regard to the above, listen to Allan Holdsworth, John Mclaughlin or Joe Satriani.

Sure he was good for his time, but look at the way bass playing has evolved over the last 30 years, players like Patitucci, Garrison, Clarke, they're in a totally different dimension to Hendrix .

In my experience, most lead guitarists are capable bassplayers, the ones who know what they're doing anyway. (At least ones that I've played with).

7. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Hmm, why is it always an Englishman knocking Hendrix?

It's funny how the country that helped him the most, is the one where I always hear the most criticism..

Hmm...

8. kenlacam

kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
    Much respect to the late Hendrix on his guitar abilities. As far as bass is concerned, he isn't even on the top 100 list of best bassists.

9. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Hey, kenlacam, are you saying you can do better? More power to ya dude!;)

10. Billy Cox was the hardest grooving player that played bass with Hendrix, including Hendrix. Period.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

I'm sure there are people from every country ready to knock Hendrix, not just us English gents...

As far as bassists go, is he up there with the Mark King, Geddy Lee, Jonas Hellborg, Stuart Hamm, Billy Sheehan, Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke and the like? In my estimation, no.

And don't get me started on Shawn Lane, John McLaughlin, Holdsworth, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Al Di Meola, Django Reinhardt, Hank Marvin, Richie Kotzen, Alex Lifeson, John Petrucci, Frank Gambale and all the other guitarists, who, in my opinion, trounce Hendrix.

12. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Those are all great guitarists, more skilled and have a great sound but i think hendrix is the best because he was the one who started the whole skilled complex guitar thing.
    I don't always look at the more skillful guitarists as the best, the sound and improvisation of the guitarist matters as well if not more. For example i think slash is an alot better guitarist than buckethead (the guy who kinda replaced him in gnr) because his solo's and style sounds alot nicer, he also puts alot more feel into his solo's while still keeping it a very jaw dropping solo. Bucket head might be able to play virtually anything but all his solos are just thrash, they're extremely complex but he just doesn't have a good sound to back it up.

13. I'm not knocking Hendrix, I've been a fan for years.
    I'm just saying that he's not the greatest guitarist, what I'm not saying is that he's not a great guitarist, there is a difference.

The live at winterland album is one of my favourite albums.

How do you know I'm English, the country of residence isn't necessarily the country of birth.

14. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    This was a throw away post! I was actually expecting it to get deleted because I didn't post in a while and couldn't think of anything to post. Interesting comments though....:p

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I can't remember why Billy Cox wasn't in the original Experience lineup, but I think it had to do more with him not wanting to be in a band.

On a side note, I love Noel's tone!

16. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    What's your criteria for a good guitarist? Speed? :meh: Hmm, I've met 6 out of the people you named bassplayer2106, and they wouldn't rate themselves over Hendrix.. He was an innovator, most cats seem to rip a dude after he's dead and can't defend themselves.:bag: If he had lived beyond 27, what could he have accomplished? Remember his solo career lasted roughly 4 years, you're naming guys that have the benefit of what he (and others) started. He was an innovator, anyone can improve on "someone else's" idea, how many people actually have a concept? Go ahead, throw the first stone... How typical, of Mule-sicians... bassists here at TB are sooo judgemental..:smug:

For his generation, he was no.1... Don't judge someone playing guitar in the 60's with your 21st century standards. People and things were different back then, and his influence is undeminished. Most polls find Jimi at the top..

How can those of us who've done **** all, insult HENDRIX of all people, and keep a straight face.... Oh well, you are most definitely entitled to your opinion, peace...

17. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Exactly, if hendrix were still alive now (well maybe not now he'd be pretty old now but maybe around the mid 80's when long screaming guitar solo's were getting really popular) i bet he would be playing just as good and skilled stuff as steve vai, joe satriani etc.

18. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I don't know (or care) about his guitar or bass playing abilities, I just know that when I hear star spangled banner I'm listening to a master musican at work. Having the capacity take that tune and make such a statement is way beyond technical skill.

19. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    I've heard enough times that Noel was a guitarist (Gasp! So was Paul McCartney and even Geddy!) and why he was in the band. I think he was pretty darn good and at least equal to Jimi. I like them both as bass players. Big deal.

20. sorry to bring this up in the Jimi thread, but dude, you need to listen to some more Buckethead. Colma maybe?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021