1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

was looking to punch up my J bass sound with an EBS ValveDrive and an LM II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chuck3, Apr 17, 2010.

1. and it worked. I had been moving away from my Fender J, nice as it is, because I wasn't getting the punch I wanted through my Genz Benz gear, much as I love it. I decided to sub in a LM II amp for my Shuttle 6.0 tonight, and run the Jazz through an EBS ValveDrive tube preamp before it hit the amp. From there to a Genz Benz Neox 12, which is the largest cab I can fit into this particular bar gig.

Problem solved, although how much was the ValveDrive and how much the LM II, is something I will need to experiment with. But the result was a slightly dirty but very loud, warm and punchy tone. More booty shaking tonight than usual for our band. :bassist:

2. Right there with you bro!!
    I was running a LMII and then got a sansamp bass driver and BAM! i had the sound i have been after for a long time..

And the best part is now you have some very versatile pieces of equipment.. i love my set up and get compliments on the tone all the time

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    it's the LMII,.. trust me!!!

4. hi to Sydney - my daughter spent a semester at the U. and I got to hang out there - very nice town.

back to bass gear - your experience sounds similar. Just to give a further nod to Genz Benz gear, I double on upright in this band, and my Upton ran through a Shuttle 3.0 with the 8" speaker that I use as a monitor while the excellent DI output fed the FOH system. The 3.0 with the 8 is a very versatile monitor/FOH unit and I highly recommend it.

But for bass guitar, the Jazz into the EBS ValveDrive through the pedalboard into the LM II into the GB Neox 12 ==> it had 'em dancing, which is all I can ask.